Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sailboat advice

Default Sailboat advice

Should i or shouldnt i ?
    Its a 22 footer and comes with a trailer.I have a few pictures and i guess its pretty i really don't know anything about these things but its been enticing me for a few months now and the price keeps dropping.I dont have the first clue about how to float one of these but i bet i could sink it.Its in good shape and even has a iddy biddy 4 horse kicker with virtually no hrs on it.Anyone have any advice?

Wow.. you change your interests quicker than I change my underwear! No wait, thats not a good analogy..

They're cool, but they're seasonal and IMO not as handy as a small fishing boat, but if the price is right... Boats are expensive to maintain though from my past experience, seem to always turn in to money pits. LR

I whole heartedly agree with you,but with a sail you dont need to do cranks and pistons and such.Less maintanance i would think.
    As for your underwear...

Moderator/OLC Vendor MillwrightMike's Avatar

There is less maintenance if you keep her on a trailer. A 22' is large enough to cross the Strait in good weather. If you buy her, take a Power Squadron course to learn about sailing, nautical safety and navigation, rules of the road, etc.

I have been sailing since I was 7 weeks old, and it's cheap transportation compared to a power boat, but takes a long time to get anywhere. I prefer my powerboat to my parents sailboat, but have though that a nice 19' 'pocket cruiser' sailboat on a trailer would be a nice toy.
    Custom knives, sheaths & sharpening

as long as its trailerable 22 is good. but im going to say this now, sailing is addictive, its cheap, its fun, and you can go anywhere in the world on one. have fun if you do buy it! and if you dont throw the add this way because ive been looking for one on a trailer for ages :P

Mike is right take a power squadron course, there invaluable out on the water. I have sailed most my life and its awesome! Nothing like getting out there on a nice day and just going in silence. I do not own a sail boat tho so to me its free, just use my uncles or rent one for a day. As with anything in the water they cost money to maintain and run. It may not be as much a hole in the water for money as a power boast but its still a money sponge.

There is also some specific skills you need with a sail boat that are some times hard to learn or perform.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

I shoulda mentioned i am afraid of the ocean,so is this thing to big for a lake?

Moderator/OLC Vendor MillwrightMike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bcghosttowns View Post
    I shoulda mentioned i am afraid of the ocean,so is this thing to big for a lake?
    Yes, and no. It depends on the lake. I'd say it would be perfect for a lake like Harrison.
    Custom knives, sheaths & sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by BigWhiteFord View Post
    I'd say it would be perfect for a lake like Harrison...
    ..or OK Lake. LR

Quote Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
    as long as its trailerable 22 is good. but im going to say this now, sailing is addictive, its cheap, its fun, and you can go anywhere in the world on one. have fun if you do buy it! and if you dont throw the add this way because ive been looking for one on a trailer for ages :P
    Its a friend of mine looking to get bailed out of money troubles,Its worth 12ish and i can grab it for $4g.I can get specs and pics.