Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Self supporting awning

Quote Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
    Look at the picture above of the arms closed, the arm tops are sloped down... bottoms also slope upwards to miss the back door... these triangles have some useful features
    Ok, I wasn't quite sure. Hard to make out in the photos.

Andyk, what size tubing are you using for the rolls that support the fabric? So, not the arms, but the "axles" the fabric are on. I'm doing mine out of aluminum, not sure, 1" tube or 1-1/2"...

Quote Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
    Andyk, what size tubing are you using for the rolls that support the fabric? So, not the arms, but the "axles" the fabric are on. I'm doing mine out of aluminum, not sure, 1" tube or 1-1/2"...
    Steel 1/2" ID tube, am M8 nut fits just nice on the end for welding on

Going to make mine cover compleatly removable so it can be stored rolled up in a tube (3" waste pipe) on the side of the roof rack, will keep it alot cleaner then on the dusty FSR's.

Getting alum here is a joke.... we only have a couple of fab shops and both work in steel 99% of the time. If you want alum it's always special order. Then they ding you $70/hr for welding it..... small town

So, that's why all my stuff is in steel, bit heavier but I can do all the welding myself

Oh, only a small tube eh?

Well, I ordered 1.5" aluminum. Hopefully that works out. Comes to about $120 for the metal, going to make the brackets out of steel.

Time's like this I'm glad I bought TIG welder. Hopefully this project goes as quick as I think it will. These things always go way over my time budget.

Too bad I couldn't stop by. Picked up a truck for a friend on mine in Sask, drove it back home and blew the turbo at the top of Roger's pass. Coasted into Revelstoke to the home hardware and used some pipe to bypass the turbo.

Would have loved to see your rig. I'm looking at fabricating up a similar setup as yours/hannibal type for both the side and the rear.

What did you use for the spindles ?

Keep up the good work. Looks great !

Thanks....

Will get some spindles turned locally, would like st/st but depends if they have any bar stock on the shelf.... if not silver steel would do.

Got the sample cards last night for the canvas materials, plenty of colors to choose from

Am looking at using this 'Top Gun' canvas :

http://www.jtstopshop.com/products/p...cBrand=0&page=

Feels a bit thicker than the Sunbrella based 'Seamark' and will prob wear better in the bush. Going to give the local(ish) boat cover makers a call once I get the frame finished to see what they stock & will charge me.

Time's like this I'm glad I bought TIG welder.
    This is what's on my birthday list.....

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00325
    Last edited by Landy_Andy; 05-26-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Yep, that's the successor to mine. I'm pretty happy with it. A few more bucks you can get a... oh, I guess it's more than a few bucks for a Syncrowave. Used to be there was a "professional" model for only a few hundred more. My neighbor picked up a used Syncrowave 250 for not a lot of money. Keep your eyes open.

I've got a Lincoln Precision TIG 375 at work.

Yep, that's the successor to mine. I'm pretty happy with it. A few more bucks you can get a... oh, I guess it's more than a few bucks for a Syncrowave. Used to be there was a "professional" model for only a few hundred more. My neighbor picked up a used Syncrowave 250 for not a lot of money. Keep your eyes open.

I've got a Lincoln Precision TIG 375 at work.
    I've got the Miller 252 for MIG, was just after a small TIG for detail work & Ali.

Finally got back onto the awning project & got a quote for the material cover in 'Topgun' a waterproof marine fabric. Let's just say I'm now looking to buy a heavy duty sewing machine & make it myself !

One of these http://www.sailrite.com

Looking at the Ultrafeed models, just not decided if I'll spring the extra for the zig-zag one.
    Last edited by Landy_Andy; 08-20-2011 at 09:31 AM.