Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Self supporting awning

Quote Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
    yeah and it got tested pretty well that weekend, for an awning that probably cost you less than $20 all said and done!
    Well, I think it cost a bit more than that but definitely not much more....

Andy, if you need anything from Vancouver, I am considering doing a bit of a road trip when I get back at the end of the month and I might be up your way so let me know if you need anything...
    :
    The Green Submarine - Sold
    2006 Ford F250

VA7MKH

=============================================
    Buoyancy - The fine line between a ship and a submarine...
    =============================================

So, today I went back to look at the awning again. Have made some new mounting brackets & am going to get some 3/4" EMT tubing to make the support arms out off. That'll be quite alot lighter than the 3/4" square tube and just as strong I think.

Here are the pic's of the new mounting brackets, the spacing will allow for 54" long arms that'll extend to the end of the back door with it open and give the option of adding either a bug screen or solid walls in the future.

I need to add a brace from the top outer corner to the horizontal tube, to prevent twisting & also act as a slider for any tree branches. Plus a gusset for the top hinge tab to prevent any sag.

Have decided to not keep the actual awning screen on thr back of the truck as it'll get very dirty, that's one complaint I've heard about the Hannibal ones. Instead I'll mount a tube to the side of the rack to keep it in. Might even put another on the opposite side for the fishing rods

Off to Sicamous to meet up with the tent rep today.... fingers crossed
    Last edited by Landy_Andy; 08-13-2010 at 08:21 AM.

Been looking at ways to mount the canvas (with support poles) to the arms and the best way seems to be antiluce pins, the same as used on the Hannibal awnings & Land Rover series tail gates.

Only problem is I haven't found any in Canada or even the USA. So, will be getting the father-in-law to send us some from the UK.

Anyone want any whilst I'm ordering ?

This is what they look like :

They locate into a 13mm hole and have an M8 thread on the other end. Ideal for covers, awnings etc.

Been a while since I started this little project.... house got in the way

But, it's time to get back to the important things so, I made the swing out arms today. Here in the stowed position.

And here open.

Still got the put the end tab on but you get the idea.

Have the antiluce pins from my last post.... ended up having them sent via 'father-in-law' air from the UK.

Just got to decide now if I'm going to have the canvas attached to the main brackets and all stowed together or have the canvas removable & in a tube on the side of the rack. First is a quicker setup but the second option will keep the canvas alot cleaner.

Very nice !! Looks like a great idea, and nice implementation. Perhaps you could just have some sort of snap or strap attachment for the canvas on the sides and then roll it up the rear of the truck for storage on the frame itself, kinda thinking inline of sailboats or something.

Look forward to seeing the rest of it.

Quote Originally Posted by geeforce View Post
    Very nice !! Looks like a great idea, and nice implementation. Perhaps you could just have some sort of snap or strap attachment for the canvas on the sides and then roll it up the rear of the truck for storage on the frame itself, kinda thinking inline of sailboats or something.

Look forward to seeing the rest of it.
    That's how Hannibal do it, sort of borrowed their idea & made bespoke to my truck & rack

Andy, interesting to see you doing this. We think alike. I'm in the middle of the cargo cage for my Disco, different than yours in some ways. Also working on a roof rack for my truck. But once that is done, the next project is awnings for the trailer.

It maybe be a little late for you, but one thing I will be doing to mine is... "flipping the triangle over" for the arms. Basically, putting them upside down, so that the awning slopes down away from the trailer. To encourage draining. Probably even more important for me than you.

Just another one of those things where it seems like so much of the stuff designed in Africa was not intended for rain. I know they get rain there in many places but... man... sometimes they just don't seem to get it.
    Last edited by R_Lefebvre; 04-20-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
    It maybe be a little late for you, but one thing I will be doing to mine is... "flipping the triangle over" for the arms. Basically, putting them upside down, so that the awning slopes down away from the trailer. To encourage draining.
    Look at the picture above of the arms closed, the arm tops are sloped down... bottoms also slope upwards to miss the back door... these triangles have some useful features

Quote Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
    I'm in the middle of the cargo cage for my Disco, different than yours in some ways. Also working on a roof rack for my truck. But once that is done, the next project is awnings for the trailer.
    I can see my trailers going to have to wait a while, 'Betsy' is being collected this weekend and she'll be the next to grace my shop..... that is if the boss lets me..... still not done the last few jobs in the kitchen