Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Self supporting awning

Default Self supporting awning

Thought I'd start a new thread for my self supporting awning project. It'll look something like the Hannibal D90/110 one... like this :

As I don't have a spool gun or TIG plant at present it'll have to be made out of 3/4" steel tubing but as it'll only be extending 4' from the back of the D2 weight isn't that much of an issue. More to follow once I get some materials.

That's a great plan, I have been looking at the short 4ft awnings and wanting to mount on to the back of my 4runner as the tail gate on it is the same as a truck. So having some cover on the rear would be nice when cooking or setting up camp in the rain.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

More pic's here :

http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outd...al-awning.html

in post #4 if you want to get creative with the chop saw & welder

Spent a few hours today chopping up some steel to make the mounting brackets.... and have decided that the rear of the rack isn't going to stand up to the twisting load this type of awings going to apply in the long term.

So, have dropped Fernando a quote request for one of his 47" awnings from Camping Lab. They appear to get decent reviews for a 'budget' product over on Expo and did prity well in the Overland Journal spring edition awning tests too.

I had a real budget version of that on an old b2 i owned a few years ago.Kinda forgot about it and now i want another one.Ill be watching this.

Cody1771 and I did a budget one for my jeep although this was a side one. Worked out well mainly due to Cody's manly skills with a sewing machine.

We got some scrap Sunbrella (sp?) which is the same material they use to make covers for boats. Cody sewed in a few pockets and we used some of the pre-drilled metal you get for making electrical conduit brackets out of, 1 8' flat one and 1 8' angle. The angle ended up painted black and attached to my roof rack with u-bolts and the flat bar we slid into one of the pockets, poked holes in it (made sure to singe the edges with a lighter because the stuff frays light crazy) and used bolts and washers to attach it to the angle bar on the roof.
    For the free end, I got a piece of 1/2" metal conduit and pounded the ends flat and drilled a hole at each end. I got a hold of two of those collapsible poles from Canadian Tire and those fit into the holes. I have two scrap bits of the conduit that I use as pegs with some ratchet style tie-downs.
    Works like a charm!

Those whole thing just rolls up and I strap it up with bungee cords. Between that and the rear hatch, I stay pretty dry in the wet...
    :
    The Green Submarine - Sold
    2006 Ford F250

VA7MKH

=============================================
    Buoyancy - The fine line between a ship and a submarine...
    =============================================

yeah and it got tested pretty well that weekend, for an awning that probably cost you less than $20 all said and done!

A tarp type is the other option but I wanted something that didn't need guy ropes & pegs. Quite often we have to use the ferry and at this time of year you can wait up to an hour on the highway. No hammering pegs into concrete there

Back to the drawing board.....

i really like the idea of those self supporting ones, i bet that would work on the side of your vehicle to with a little re engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
    i really like the idea of those self supporting ones, i bet that would work on the side of your vehicle to with a little re engineering.
    With the RTT opening over the drivers side of the truck now we have some protection. This was really for days out when we stop for lunch etc on the trail and work out the back of the truck.

Biggest problem I have here in Revy is no where to go window shopping without at least a 2 hour drive. I do miss living in a big city for that.... back in the UK we lived in an engineering city that was home to Rolls Royce aero engines & the UK rail industry, I had 2 powder coating shops within 10mins of home & loads of small fab shops.

In hindsight I should have sold my D90 back in the UK & brought a D110 with me..... the D90 is just too small and not practical for long distance travel.

Anyway, on a good note we get the tent back tomorrow, all resealed. So, will be testing it over the weekend.
    Last edited by Landy_Andy; 08-12-2010 at 08:40 AM.