Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire tower run

Yeeup, fall camping. Last trip to the flathead we came across all sorts of bits and pieces. Sometimes just off the road, sometimes right on it. Have to be aware when choosing a spot to camp. Found a good one complete with some mood lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    I'll post this up here as information.
    Hunting in BC is not quite like the Disney movie "Open Season" where anything that moves is likely to be shot... (no one in this thread insinuated it was...)
    If it's not in the synopsis, it's not legal to shoot/trap.

This is a link to the page for the BC hunting regulations.
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...tions-synopsis

here is the complete synopsis in .pdf format
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sp...-2016-2018.pdf

There are several things of interest to non hunters as well such as vehicle closed areas,

Noodling through the regulations again I find that deer may not have been "legally" harvested...
    Recreation Sites and Trails
    Unless authorized by a recreation officer;
    it is unlawful to trap, dispose of wildlife parts, or discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow on or into:
    • the developed portion of a Recreation Site or Interpretive Forest.
    • the developed portion of a Recreation Trail where a prohibition has been posted, as defined in the Forest Recreation Regulation.
    • The “developed portion”, refers to that area that extends 100m in all directions from a structure, day use area, camping area, trail tread or trail staging area.
    Visit www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca. for more information on Recreation Sites and Trails

That said, I can see where the fire tower may not be recognised as a forest service rec site.....
    Perso, my question /comment was not about the hunters or hunting by it self, but more about the fact that cleaning of the carcass left a mess that seams to by near a fairly visited area and that it left a mess of blood. I would have tought that it could have been done in a more seclided area, away from a visited area.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky j View Post
    Perso, my question /comment was not about the hunters or hunting by it self, but more about the fact that cleaning of the carcass left a mess that seams to by near a fairly visited area and that it left a mess of blood. I would have tought that it could have been done in a more seclided area, away from a visited area.

There are ignorant people in any activity.
    I agree. It should have been done away from the fire tower.
    If the fire tower is considered a recreational site, the act of shooting and leaving the remnants of a carcass may be considered unlawful as per the hunting regulations.

My only reason behind posting a link to the regulations is that non hunters may find some of the information it contains useful and assist them in spotting something that is wrong.
    For example, if only the head was taken, or only the hind quarters on the deer at the fire tower.
    That would be something that should be reported to the conservation officer service.
    Someone driving around with a spotlight shooting at night is something else that should be reported.
    Hunting with a hand gun is a no no....

My response wasn't directed at you, but simply for the benefit of anyone interested in reading it. There can be lots of mis-conceptions about hunters and hunting. Just hoping to dispel some of the myths.

Dorks that shoot and leave a gut pile in a place that may be considered a recreation site aren't helping with the image.....

If the fire tower is considered a recreational site, the act of shooting and leaving the remnants of a carcass may be considered unlawful as per the hunting regulations.

My only reason behind posting a link to the regulations is that non hunters may find some of the information it contains useful and assist them in spotting something that is wrong.
    For example, if only the head was taken, or only the hind quarters on the deer at the fire tower.
    That would be something that should be reported to the conservation officer service.
    Someone driving around with a spotlight shooting at night is something else that should be reported.

My response wasn't directed at you, but simply for the benefit of anyone interested in reading it. There can be lots of mis-conceptions about hunters and hunting. Just hoping to dispel some of the myths.

Dorks that shoot and leave a gut pile in a place that may be considered a recreation site aren't helping with the image.....

Yeah it was right where the fire pit is, pretty gross. There’s a Bush 20 feet away lol

Na, don't worry about me, I just wanted to point out the when I fisrt mentionned this in the tread, it was more about the mess than about any hunting issues and wanted to make sure that this was not getting longer because of me.

All the info you mentionned is indeed great knowledge to share.