Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire tower run

Default Fire tower run

Ended up heading up to the fire tower just up the nahatlatch valley for a snow rip. Not much snow but it was fairly slick. Here’s some shots!

Well done, looks like fun !

Gee, I guess that's another vote for a RZR for xmas ...

Quote Originally Posted by klahanie View Post
    Well done, looks like fun !

Gee, I guess that's another vote for a RZR for xmas ...

Yeah my buddy Mj just picked tthat up a month ago. Heated jacket, and gloves were required lol. Neat machines though

Nice pics!

any ideas what all the blood on the snow is about?

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky j View Post
    Nice pics!

any ideas what all the blood on the snow is about?
    We are wrapping up hunting season here.

Four point bucks and possibly doe deer (on a limited entry lottery)

A gut pile is usually consumed within 24 hours and all you see left is the blood on the snow and maybe the contents of the stomach.

That's my guess....

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    We are wrapping up hunting season here.

Four point bucks and possibly doe deer (on a limited entry lottery)

A gut pile is usually consumed within 24 hours and all you see left is the blood on the snow and maybe the contents of the stomach.

That's my guess....
    Yeah it was some shady **** that’s for sure, head missing, legs gone, but ribs and all the good stuff still there. Skin and guts were a short distance away also. Blood trail came from the road heading west. Not sure what went on

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjustin View Post
    Yeah it was some shady **** that’s for sure, head missing, legs gone, but ribs and all the good stuff still there. Skin and guts were a short distance away also. Blood trail came from the road heading west. Not sure what went on
    The "Legal requirement" is to remove the edible four quarters. Front and rear legs. They would have taken the head as evidence of sex (or antler size in a four point season)

The ethical requirement would be to remove the whole carcass. Depending on the amount of field work done, there could have been a lot of meat wasted.... (inside and outside back straps)

If in doubt, contact the RAPP line.

edit:The other ethical thing to do would have be to perform this sort of operation down the road a little way.

Like I said, it usually takes 24 hours to clean up a small pile and it's a magnet for all sorts of critters.

One really does need to use extreme caution around these piles as bears can get on them. At this time of year the drive is on to fatten up for the winter and they can get pretty protective of their food cache....
    Last edited by westcoaster; 11-13-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    The "Legal requirement" is to remove the edible four quarters. Front and rear legs. They would have taken the head as evidence of sex (or antler size in a four point season)

The ethical requirement would be to remove the whole carcass. Depending on the amount of field work done, there could have been a lot of meat wasted.... (inside and outside back straps)

If in doubt, contact the RAPP line.

edit:The other ethical thing to do would have be to perform this sort of operation down the road a little way.

Like I said, it usually takes 24 hours to clean up a small pile and it's a magnet for all sorts of critters.

One really does need to use extreme caution around these piles as bears can get on them. At this time of year the drive is on to fatten up for the winter and they can get pretty protective of their food cache....
    Yup that makes sense, not so shady now that I’ve talked to a few hunters at my work haha. But yeah clean your mess up at least .

OLC Member

When we drove into Nahatlatch on Saturday afternoon we passed by numerous hunting groups, and one of them already had an animal skinned and hanging off a tree. It had the body/legs, but no head as far as I could tell from a quick glance.

OLC Member

I'll post this up here as information.
    Hunting in BC is not quite like the Disney movie "Open Season" where anything that moves is likely to be shot... (no one in this thread insinuated it was...)
    If it's not in the synopsis, it's not legal to shoot/trap.

This is a link to the page for the BC hunting regulations.
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/s...tions-synopsis

here is the complete synopsis in .pdf format
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sp...-2016-2018.pdf

There are several things of interest to non hunters as well such as vehicle closed areas,

Noodling through the regulations again I find that deer may not have been "legally" harvested...
    Recreation Sites and Trails
    Unless authorized by a recreation officer;
    it is unlawful to trap, dispose of wildlife parts, or discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow on or into:
    • the developed portion of a Recreation Site or Interpretive Forest.
    • the developed portion of a Recreation Trail where a prohibition has been posted, as defined in the Forest Recreation Regulation.
    • The “developed portion”, refers to that area that extends 100m in all directions from a structure, day use area, camping area, trail tread or trail staging area.
    Visit www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca. for more information on Recreation Sites and Trails

That said, I can see where the fire tower may not be recognised as a forest service rec site.....