Thread: Synthetic or Dino

Default Synthetic or Dino

I have always used Regular 15W40 summer and 10W30 winter.

This winter I decided to try some Shell Rotella T6 5W40 for the Dodge. A little spendy (2x the price) , but I think it'll be better for the cold starts. Can't always plug it in when I am out winter camping. Also I can run this stuff year round.

What are others using in your diesels or gas engines, any good or bad experiences? Other then the high cost.
    Last edited by uriedog; 11-09-2017 at 07:42 PM.

OLC Member

Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 year round.

Then again, living on the coast, it doesn't get anywhere near as cold here as it does in Alberta....

How many Km do you keep the oil in for? I have been changing every 10,000km

Yep way to cold here for 15w40. I quite often have to start unplugged at -25.

I leave the regular oil in 7-10,000 km. That is the manufacturer recommended interval.

Should be able to go 14000 on Synthetic, although I will probably still change it at 10,000

Have used motorcraft 10w30 since new. Read somewhere about staying with the same oil formula, something about microscopic bonding of oil to metal over time. Like a teapot I guess. Anyway, I get a discount at dealer. Filters from rockauto. I think the oem stuff has been synthetic for a while, maybe most are at least semi.

Change every 8k or 6 month per severe spec. Religiously because of oil dilution from fuel (regens). Last change took out 16L, had put in 14L (!!). A record I don't expect to break

Synthetic in everything I own. It's just better engineering, you can read 1000 articles on both sides I'm sure.

I put dinosaur in my little gas car and it'll burn through 2-3L per 5000km service, same grade synthetic and maybe drops an acceptable 0.5-1L.
    My diesel gets fresh synthetic every 5k cause it's cheap to me and it doesn't come out black as night, can still shine a light through it.

Ignoring the cold and heat aspects of it the synthetic is also more resistant to shearing force so if you have a cam driven pump that is putting huge stress on a lobe it is more likely to keep a microscopic film and prevent metal on metal contact wearing out pieces.

I paid about $7.40ish/L so not a cheap oil change. But If start ups are easier on the engine I guess it'll be worth it. It is hard to hand out $90 for oil when I normally pay $40

Synth in the duramax, change it spring and fall, never gets close to the oil monitor %, which I'm told is a good indicator.