Thread: Writing on Stone

Default Writing on Stone

I believe Writing in Stone is a pretty well known Alberta PP so I'll make the call that it's ok to highlight here. It's been on our punch list for a long time but I guess it's location was never convenient for inclusion in our trips. So finally we made the effort and did an overnighter at end of the Sept long. CG was quiet with a number of good sites avail. Camping fees started at $26 for unserviced. The coin op showers were clean and modern. The CG Host was just buttoning up for the season. For day use there was no entry fee (per AB PPs I believe).

Of course there are petroglyphs to view but for us the geography was the big bonus. Sure, some of the rocks formations and hoodoos are "miniature world" in scale, dwarfed by others found elsewhere - once, while overlooking the wave pool in West Edmonton Mall, I overheard a visitor remark, "humph, the waves are bigger in Maui". Well whatever, these are ours !

Some people see "faces" in the rocks or wildlife about (including snakes) or join an interpretive tour of the petroglyphs, hike etc. Anyhoo, worth a visit I think.

~David

OLC Member

Very cool. Hadn't heard of this place before.

Bragg Creek, Alberta - west of Calgary in the foothills

Writing on Stone is a great place to visit - particularly with your family. Besides the first nations petroglyphs and unique native prairie coulee terrain complete with the ever present smell of sage brush there is prohibition era smuggling folklore and the opportunity for leisurely float trips in your canoe on the Milk River which runs through the prairie landscape, and through the park. Tom Olsen who runs five bison ranches making up a total of over 40,000 acres across western Canada run one ranch located near Del Bonita, south and west of Milk River, a short drive from Writing on Stone park. In past years they used to conduct tours of the ranch - not sure what the current status of the tours is as their website seem to be broken (Calgary tel: 403-313-6200). I went on a tour there a number of years ago with several families from Bragg Creek who got to know the Olsonís when they lived in Bragg Creek - it was quite amazing seeing the Bison roaming on rolling virgin prairie grassland that seemed to go on forever. Just to the south in Montana lies the Sweetgrass Hills which themselves are worthy of several days of exploration.