Thread: Navigation advise/help needed

OLC Member

Default Navigation advise/help needed

Hello everyone.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I currently have the following setup. I have an Android phone, an Android tablet, a Ubuntu laptop and a Garmin Montana 680.

I bought my GPS back in May and only getting around to getting it going now. I have discovered that it has no Canadian Maps.

So the first question would be, does anyone now how I can get Canadian Maps without dishing out another 300.00?

I have been using BackCountry on my Android devices. Actually, they are installed but yet to be used.

My next question would be does anyone currently have the same multi platform setup working.

Before I go spending anymore funds I need to figure out what direction to go in.

Oh, Windows is out of the question and the budget doesn't have room for Apple but if I absolutely must I would go Apple.

Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

As far as I know about maps there's free Ibicys topo maps - http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/ , but they probably outdated. There's also Backroads maps - http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/gps-maps/ which cost $150 last time I checked but has a lot of info. You can also use online free sources and save maps of the area you're exploring to Android or Garmin.

Go with Google offline maps all I can say Awesome! don't waste your time with anything else and it will work with anything you can use a browser on and share between devices or with anyone else! try and do that with anything else.

Oh ya its free!

http://NomadExpedition.tk
    Last edited by nomad expedition; 09-05-2017 at 06:13 PM.

OLC Member

Thanks for the response. Great information.

I have also downloaded my first maps using BackCountry Navigation. Seems to work well also..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Call me simple but that seems like a lot of tech for a simple job. I have the paper backroads mapbooks, several versions old at this point. I have a Garmin GPS with regular maps updates from them and the Backroads microSD card I can turn on and off. I can't imagine needing more than that. I also have access to TopoCanada maps but the Backroads shows elevation anyway so why confuse it.

Download "Canada topo" to your tablet and then download the topo maps you need. Just a nice simple start. No data connection needed and they are the same maps you buy on paper. There are other apps that you can use, but Canada topo will get you started. And yes it does have highways and roads on it. You will have to manual move the map but it's never been a problem for me. Your only driving about 20km/h it's hard to run too far off the screen