Thread: 2017 Newfoundland

Administrator

Default 2017 Newfoundland

Heading out Thursday for a week of exploring the west coast of Newfoundland. Will have the 19th to the 25th for exploring and camping. Anyone going to be on the rock those days and wanna meet up? We will be 2 rigs and aim to drive the t'rail from Port au Basques north up the coast and the top sails section as well as visit that abandoned town on the coast north of Labrador ferry. Some touristy things as well as some off pavement stuff is the plan.
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca

Jealous! I loved the time I spent in Newfoundland about 8 years ago now. Will be going again within the next two years so the wife can visit her grandma and other extended family but we are hoping to combine it with a sweet cross Canada trip. I really want to make it to L'Anse Aux Meadows where the viking settlements were.

Have a great trip - can't wait to see pictures and stuff!

Administrator

Thanks. I have been once before but it was a mad dash across the island on a motorbike, looking forward to a leisurely pace and some exploring in and out of the truck.

www.GravelTravel.ca

Administrator

What a great overland trip we had. Originally we had signed up for the New Brunswick Expedition Challenge but a few things left us unable to compete in it. Some last minute conversations were had and we decided to do a week on the west coast of Newfoundland. This was a trip I had planned some time agao so I had some gpx files in my archive. Brian cam from Ohio in his FJ with his buddy Nick, and I drove out from Ottawa with my buddy Ian.

We had one week on the island to explore and 3 days to get to the island and back. A 17 hour straight drive back after a 7 hour hour ferry ride made for a very long day.

The trip consisted of scenic pavement and a few choice trails.

No doubt the highlight were some of the coastal trails we found, one took us a day and a half and crossed rivers, creeks and led us to an abandoned town and a cool old shipwreck. Other trails climbed hills, used old rail lines and some ran on rocky shorelines where you make your own trails.

The weather was...well windy as heck. A bit of rain here and there and a storm or two thrown in for good measure. My Canadian Tire popup tent left something to be desired as it has mesh open to the skies with no means to prevent rain from coming in. More than one morning of me in my cot surrounded by a half inch of water in the tent.

The group of us had many laughs, saw cool stuff, explored some epic areas, ate great food. We camped every night and aside from one dinner, 2 lunches and 1 breakfast we cooked every meal. Steaks, shrimp, ribs, etc....we ate like kings

In no particular order here a a bunch of photos I took

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (55.1 KB, 1 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (110.6 KB, 1 views)

www.GravelTravel.ca

Administrator

Attached Images Attached Images

www.GravelTravel.ca

Administrator

www.GravelTravel.ca

Administrator

www.GravelTravel.ca

OLC Member

Wow amazing trip! Such interesting terrain, and the shipwreck is super cool.

OLC Member

Looks like it was an awesome trip!

Are those backroads easy to find on a map?

OLC Member

Great pics. Looks like you got to some cool spots.