Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maxtrax vs competitor

Default Maxtrax vs competitor

Looking at Maxtrax vs a competing version I'll call OTracks. First let's strip the cost part out, and say they are the same price. Second, I'm mostly concerned with mud, bog usage at this time.

Maxtrax are pretty well known, OTracks not so much. Thing is, whatever Maxtrax gives as max vehicle weight rating (I can't remember it) my rig is over, but not crazy over. OTracks were made for heavier vehicles, that's why I am considering them.

Maxtrax are 1150x330mm (45x13" for old farts) OTracks are bigger at 1500x430mm (59x17") I'm wondering if the larger length of OTracks could be a hassle/difficult to jam them into position if the vehicle has sunk or they might touch, or be impeded by, the truck body. Also might the larger width be a problem if they are wider than the wheel ruts. More digging ?

I see the length as a benefit for "run out" as I've seen pics of traction boards laid end to end. Also if OTracks are more "heavy duty" they might have more bridging potential, albeit limited. Down sides: bigger to store, heavier to manhandle if full of mud.

I've never seen mat in use, in person so any comments, experiences are welcome ...

PS another option for me is reinforced stair treads per what ssrig55 did. These could work for bridging (I see real use) but wonder for mud if they would sink or not being flexible would be a con. (also am not a welder)

above pic posted here:
    http://www.overlandcanada.com/forum/...ll=1#post43442

Thanks
    ~David
    Last edited by klahanie; 07-24-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Maxtrax writes the product is designed for vehicles of ~3500kg - but they "know of some people" who've used them ~6000kg. Ok, 3.5 tonnes is a full size diesel empty, so I'm way over that. Does it matter ? who knows. I guess the OTracks are simply scaled up consistent with the intended heavier user. Question remains would they be unyeildy.

Benefit of Maxtrax is I could prob resell them easier because of the name brand. Resell them I mean if I get sick of carrying them around and never using them.

I think it would be helpful if we knew what the "OTrax" you are considering actually are. But a friend of mine has the smittybilt trax option and she has been happy with them and saved a bundle. I have a hard time believing they are much different and both would certainly work. If you bought the less expensive option in the scenario I have given I think you could sell the smittybilts at a very small loss if you were dissatisfied.

Thanks Jeep for your input. Didn't mean to be opaque.

Outback mat/track discussed tread below, (no product name was mentioned), video post #84 and 50. #84 vid gives an idea of the size at 0:23. #50 vid shows action at 2:30. truck looks to have a decent weight. although that may not matter if the mat is supported by sand ??

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...10#post2159510

more pics post #47 if you login

vendor has as an Oz 4x4 shop website but tracks aren't mentioned so I won't link site. would have to import but happen to have a fluky opportunity to do that coming up. not sure how all in pricing would be end of the day, maybe similar. they are something a bit different so I'm kicking around the idea.
    Last edited by klahanie; 07-25-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add a bit

I guess to split hairs. I see a difference in these things. One is a traction aid, snow mud sand but no weight bearing ability for a gap.
    The others are traction aids, but having bridging capabilities ie. The ability to 'bridge' a ditch or gap, supporting the entire weight as required
    without folding/collapsing. That pic you showed of the homemade set I believe he mentioned they would take weight and work as a bridging ladder
    as well. If I were looking, I would look at having that capability as well. Klahanie you are lucky in that you have a pretty heavy duty rig, and the
    added weight of carrying a bridging capable ladder/matt would be acceptable. My .02

Thanks J. Tend to agree. I don't think either option will do both functions well but for me this is about having another "tool" or a bit more "insurance" out there. It appears the overseas mat idea has fizzed out and frankly I think I might want the bridging function more often so I'm going to revisit the stair tread solution. If I go that route and the traction is insufficient maybe a "cheaper" traction mat per Jeep might be worth carrying for occasional/emerg use.

SSrig had to reinforce the 12" wide for strength and may also need to double up with a 10" nested. I'm thinking a version with each "plank" made up of 2x5" wide with a reinforce tube between and outside the 5s (total 3 tube). Load table is not promising tho... pg 27,28 http://www.indianagratingsinc.com/pd...talog-2013.pdf

OLC Member

I considered all "plastic" recovery boards earlier this year, and ended up getting MaxTrax. One key distinction to other brands is MaxTrax's ability to bend flex (it can literally wrap the tire) without breaking.

Those cheaper recovery boards (like SmittyBilt) are cheaper for a reason - they're largely a one-time use item.

If you want to see/handle MaxTrax in person, shoot me a PM - I'm in New West.

^ Cool, thanks 0210. you mean like this, more than just "regular plastic", eh?

getting some quoting done for the stair treads. we'll see where it leads. joke is, I didn't see any on ssrig's truck in his last baja pics. maybe he gave up on them ...

That looks like it would be good in mud and snow. Not much bridging ability...LOL!

Ordering my set in the next few days..
    Now for the hard part, grey or orange...