Thread: Boulder Outdoor Products Overland Trailer/RTT Hauler

OLC Member

Default Boulder Outdoor Products Overland Trailer/RTT Hauler

Hey everyone!

I've had a ton of people on social media tell me to start a build thread for this trailer so that they can follow along, so here we go :friday:

Im the owner of Boulder Outdoor Products, a Canadian line of roof top tents and overland gear. I quickly discovered that hauling a full size 14' enclosed trailer to trade shows was extremely limiting! This meant lots of $$$ on fuel, and absolutely no off-road travel on the way to/from the show

I have been wanting to build an overland style trailer for a while, so I decided this was probably a good excuse to finally make that happen. The initial goal was to build a trailer that could haul some tents inside, as well as have an RTT on top to showcase multiple tent models between the truck and trailer, all while maintaining some form of mild off-road capability. This plan quickly changed with the idea of keeping the trailer multi purpose.

The initial design that I drew up in an hour or two after driving home from BC Overland Rally -
    At this point I had decided that I wanted the trailer big enough to have some misc. storage upfront, and a couple slide outs for fridge/freezer, stove, etc.

This design hasn't changed much, mainly just slight dimension tweaks to allow 4 RTT's to fit in the back, as well as some slight rearrangement of the front doors.
    I've been winging it on a lot of things, assuming I will figure it out as it go haha.

Basic Specs:
    80" overall height not including RTT
    55" Wide frame
    118" long tub
    5' Tongue from tub to hitch
    3' "Tongue Platform?"
    Timbren 3500HD Axle-less suspension
    37x12.50x17 on wheels to match my truck
    Steel Frame with fender width steps/rub rails
    16ga 5052 Aluminum Skin - Adhesive and Rivets (Still looking for recommendations for adhesive)

"Planned Features" (Some of these will take quite a while to get to haha)
    Dometic CFX-65DZ on a slide out
    2 Stage slideout for camp chef stove
    Kitchen storage drawers
    Fold down table above passenger side fender
    Interior/exterior lighting
    Go-power solar power system W/ Large pure sine Inverter (To run inverter welder and big tools)
    ~100+ Liter water tank between the "axles" on a 12v pump with RODI filtration system and small holding tank for drinking water - need to keep the GF happy
    Propane hot water/shower system
    Propex or similar heater for ducting into the RTT's on the truck and trailer
    Custom rack from rear bumper for 2 Street legal dirtbikes

Anyways.... lets get to the build photos so far.

I had all the steel delivered last friday, and immediately put the bandsaw to work

And that brings us upto last nights progress, Its moving pretty quick for only having 5 days of work into it. Today will bring more wall bracing and working towards getting the trailer skinned so I can get the doors built for me.

Any recommendations for how much support to add behind that 16ga aluminum?

Go follow me on instagram :victory: @BoulderOutdoorProducts

Administrator

Look forward to following the build
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca

OLC Member

You sure you want to offroad with a trailer of that size? Sounds like it'll be enormous!

Either way, going to be an interesting build!

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by 0210 View Post
    You sure you want to offroad with a trailer of that size? Sounds like it'll be enormous!

Either way, going to be an interesting build!
    i guess I'm using the term "off-road" loosely haha. The tow vehicle is a 9000 lb 2011 F350 crew cab, it doesn't see very serious off-roading to start with

OLC Member

No major updates, I've just been working at framing in the walls and interior partitions.

The goal for this week is to frame in the fenders/rock sliders and start the sheet metal work

subscribing

OLC Member

Keep going. Love these personal builds. Nice big shop too.

OLC Member

Still no major updates. I decided to wait on axles and wheels before building fenders. Just to make absolutely sure it all lines up perfectly