Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Have the fires in BC effect your trips?

Cabin lake is at 6060 ft elevation. If there isn't snow by then, she'll be a cold one. We're going to keowik lake instead. Just north of Boston bar.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjustin View Post
    Lol we already changed places, so feel free to go there. We were going to come in off the coq. And come past gillis lake.
    Bah, already changed the day off w/ work . It's alright. 20th will do the trick for us!

Haven't heard about that other lake you guys are visiting. Post some photos when you're back!

Didn't realize the 'other' trail was off the Coq. Will see if I can find it on a map somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by klahanie View Post
    Now that fire season is slowly winding down what do we think about the chance of snow in the interior over Thanksgiving. I'm kicking around being a wus and pulling the camper now ('cause I have projects) or going for a trip over the long. (I know, I know, tuff choice). Are you guys thinking snow at Cabin Lk because of elevation ? Last year (I think) we went thru a white out on the Coq north of Merritt but Kamloops where we hung around was ok. You think the Cariboo generally would be ok ? Would like to do Chilko but, man, long drive and prob too late in the season.

Excluding up the mtns, is Thanksgiving the normal start of winter outside my LML bubble. Or end of Oct? Hunters ?
    There's already snow on the Coq, and snow in the forecast for Merritt. This winter is supposed to be just as 'bad' (ie. snow) as the last one. I'm actually hoping to see snow at Cabin Lake. I like the white stuff.

^ oh chit ! hadn't heard that. last winter we had snow on the ground in the 'burbs for 3 straight months. way too much for me, thx.

we've camped that oct long before, maybe I've forgotten the conditions ...

Quote Originally Posted by 0210 View Post
    Bah, already changed the day off w/ work . It's alright. 20th will do the trick for us!

Haven't heard about that other lake you guys are visiting. Post some photos when you're back!

Didn't realize the 'other' trail was off the Coq. Will see if I can find it on a map somewhere.

There's already snow on the Coq, and snow in the forecast for Merritt. This winter is supposed to be just as 'bad' (ie. snow) as the last one. I'm actually hoping to see snow at Cabin Lake. I like the white stuff.

Yeah you come off the coq, connect up spius creek fsr, and then turn off that road and follow it up past silver lake, then through the mini whipsaw trail. It's over grown so bad pin stripping up until silver
    Lake.

OLC Member

Yeah you come off the coq, connect up spius creek fsr, and then turn off that road and follow it up past silver lake, then through the mini whipsaw trail. It's over grown so bad pin stripping up until silver
    Lake.
    If you are going that way, you could go in via Boston Bar and up Uzulis Creek if you are looking for a change...

Took the truck and camper through that way a couple years ago when they were building the new hydro lines through there. (no, didn't do the mini whipsaw with the truck and camper). Parked it down at the old corral, then took that trail up to Prospect Creek FSR in the samurai.

There are two ways of getting from Spius to Prospect. One past Silver Lake and the second is where the old corral was where Spius creek fsr crosses the river.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by klahanie View Post
    ^ oh chit ! hadn't heard that. last winter we had snow on the ground in the 'burbs for 3 straight months. way too much for me, thx.

we've camped that oct long before, maybe I've forgotten the conditions ...
    Yup. I'm in New West, so I remember the snow very well. Fun times, but by the end of it I was more than ready for it to go away.

Lake.
    Thanks for the info! I'm not afraid of pinstripes, but will avoid them when I can. Will go in from the Merritt side (not pin-stripe free, but not bad).