Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Have the fires in BC effect your trips?

Lots of smoke in Golden this weekend.

Yes, fires have affected our plans, I've been working in the EOC ever since the Ashcroft fire started July7th..

The fires have definetly changed peoples plans around here. I moved to 100 Mile last year. Right now everyone is loaded up still just waiting to see what happens with the elephant hill, and even the gustafsen still. Seems like every couple days another fire pops up that is human caused. I know it killed my camping/exploring plans for this summer. Its so dry here right now, I'm **** scared to mow the lawn. HAHAHAHAHA. As a result I won't go out in the bush, last thing I need is having to turn around and dry grass hitting the exhaust and boom fire......
    Monty

With an air quality rating at 49 on a scale of 1-10, the smoke from the fires is definitely having an effect on Kamloops today..

It's going to effect some of us now..

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0208-001391

Wow that's scary, protect the towns and let her burn, it will come back twice as green. As bad as it sounds we do need this.

Unfortunately it is absolutely necessary at this point.

OLC Member

The smoke wasn't going to affect my summer plans all that much, but the recent off-roading ban is a huge problem, as I've got three separate trips planned into the restricted regions from Aug 19th - Sept 15th. Fingers crossed this gets lifted, otherwise my only time-off this summer will be hugely ruined . Going to the Island for the third trip (Sept 5th-15th) may be the only option left

OLC Member

Effective at noon (Pacific time) on Friday, Aug. 4, 2017, the operation of any off-road vehicle for recreational purposes on Crown land will be prohibited throughout the Cariboo Fire Centre, Kamloops Fire Centre and Southeast Fire Centre. In addition, all on-highway vehicles must remain on defined road surfaces.

This step is being taken to help prevent human-caused wildfires and protect public safety. The operation of any off-road vehicles in these regions during the current wildfire situation creates a potential wildfire risk. While jeeps, trucks and other on-highway vehicles are permitted on designated roads, they are not allowed off-road.

The prohibition of off-road vehicles and on-highway vehicles does not apply to private lands or national parks. It also does not apply to emergency responders or to agriculture or commercial/ industrial users who operate vehicles for farming, emergency response or business purposes.

A map of the affected areas is available online at: http://ow.ly/QTm330e9G5n

August is traditionally the most active part of the wildfire season. Given the number of fires currently burning in B.C., the elevated fire danger ratings and the extremely dry conditions in many parts of the province, the BC Wildfire Service is strongly urging British Columbians and visitors to stay out of the backcountry in these regions.

The BC Wildfire Service is continually monitoring conditions and this prohibition may be expanded or rescinded as needed.

In addition, the public is reminded that almost all provincial parks and all recreation sites and trails within the Cariboo Fire Centre are closed due to wildfire risk. The travelling public should visit “safety tips for B.C. travellers” at: www.bcwildfire.ca

Anyone found in contravention of this off-road vehicle prohibition may be issued a violation ticket in the amount of $767. If the contravention causes or contributes to a wildfire, the person responsible may be ordered to pay all firefighting and associated costs.

To report an off-road violation, call the RAPP line at: 1 877 952-7277.

Quote:

Doug Donaldson, Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development –

“During the current wildfire situation, it’s crucial that we do everything we can to prevent human-caused wildfires. Temporarily removing off-road vehicles from the backcountry is another component of our wildfire prevention strategy.”

Learn More:

To report a wildfire or open burning violation, call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone. For the latest information on current wildfire activity, burning restrictions, road closures and air quality advisories, visit: www.bcwildfire.ca

You can also follow the latest wildfire news on:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/BCGovFireInfo
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/BCForestFireInfo

I read this as "good to go" as long as you are driving a (highway) licensed vehicle and stay on the road.

I'm not sure how they feel about a "two track".... Grass growing in the middle can pose a problem where it catches fire on a hot catalytic converter....

Common sense and a good deal of caution will get you through...

edit:
    Thinking of China Head Mountain as an example of a "designated road" that for all intents and purposes is a two track with grass growing...
    Last edited by westcoaster; 08-07-2017 at 04:57 PM.

"the operation of any off-road vehicle for recreational purposes on Crown land will be prohibited throughout the Cariboo Fire Centre, Kamloops Fire Centre and Southeast Fire Centre"

I would tread lightly, there is probably very little tolerance this year due to the situation.