Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have the fires in BC effect your trips?

Default Have the fires in BC effect your trips?

I have a few friends that have been evacuated I was lucky in 2004 I just got past the fires in cache creek before they closed the highway...

I would like to make a trip but will be waiting for the fire hazzard to go down first...

OLC Member

Yes,
    Have had to change venues for the family camping extravaganza.

Where we had planned on going around Clearwater Not too sure where we'll end up now....

If this weather keeps up, I wouldn't be surprised if they put a backroad ban in effect.
    We came through that area last Tuesday just before everything lit on fire. We got lucky

Apparently all prov parks and protected areas in cariboo and chilcotin regions are closed(ing) to public per parks FB. Presumably that will relieve personnel from having to notify/remove public if area becomes dangerous. I'm surprised there isn't already a seasonal campfire ban in place for more of BC similar to watering restrictions in urban areas. That would save man hours posting individual rec sites etc.

Tough for those folks who've lost homes and animals. I imagine many of those trailer park and Ashcroft Reserve homeowners don't have insurance, or anyone really who's outside of a fire dept served area.

If you're travelling and have the room it might be a good idea to carry extra bottled water and disposable respirators - could help someone out. Gas also, 100 Mile residents had to make a 7 hr evac to PG via Hwy 5 and 16. Who's got fuel for that?

EDIT Lees Corner gone
    https://www.wltribune.com/news/lees-...days-wildfire/
    Last edited by klahanie; 07-10-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Yep, the fires affected our plans. We decided to leave our camp spot a couple days early and head back to town due to the fire ban(s). Although we were out not too far from Port Alberni and there was no imminent danger to us, the ban affected the entire coastal region. We already had several really good days by the lake so it was no big loss.

Sure glad we didn't plan to head to the interior this year...

We've been camping at Canim Lake for the last 4 days. When we went through 100 Mile, the fire was already well developed and blowing NE. Everything seemed stable(ish) up until yesterday afternoon. The wind coming down the lake heading for 100 Mile turned back and an hour later the smoke blew up in a whole new area. 2 hours after that, 2000 people were evacuated, with a lot of them driving past where we were camped. I finally got one of them to stop and asked the guy if there was anything that I needed to know about. He said that the fire had crossed the highway at 103. We figured that we had enough time to get out, so we got our stuff packed and spent the rest of the night on alert. The amount of evacuees driving by didn't really slow down much all night. Most roads out were blocked yesterday, so we took the backroads out to hwy 24 this morning. I had extra fuel, water and food packed, so was not too worried about taking the long way home. Saw some nice country, ate a ****ton of road dust and had a pretty chill drive home.

Apparently they got the fire out that crossed over the HWY at 103 so its all contained to the west side of the HWY still..

We had family from Horsefly (east of 150 Mile House) down for some appointments when this all broke out. They've been stuck here for the last 10 days as all the roads back to their town are shut down... I've read that they are recommending people stay out of the back country in all of the Cariboo to avoid accidental fires from off road vehicles etc. So far nobody has died so that is a big bonus.

Does not look like rain anytime soon.. These dry conditions could last another month sure hope they can get the fires under control soon.

Once this is all over with the fires I want to do a trip to see the devastation for myself maybe around sept/oct and also want to see what it now looks like around the back country of the Barriere fire now wow that was in 2003.

Yeah it's looking like a long ugly fire season this year. Might have to start booking holidays in spring and fall going forward. Had bumped a Chilcotin trip 'till this Sept but will have to see how it plays out.

Lot of smoke in the interior, sucks for the residents.

Pray for rain ...