Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partial X-Canada 2017

Default Partial X-Canada 2017

prepping/cleaning/loading up.

Just like the title says, driving part way across Canada next week, from Saltspring as far east as the Laurentions north of Montreal.

My route at the start is a bit boring as we are hitting many places with friends or family and that will be the general reason for the trip along with a few forays into the wild. With that said we will be on the trans Canada until Medicine Hat with stops in Armstrong and Yoho PP.

After that we will stay south across the plains and visit Grasslands NP, oh yeah I did get my free Parks Pass already! Maybe stay a few days on the west and east blocks depending on what its like??

Then on to Kenosee lake or Turtle Mountain PP area.

We have two weeks to get to Wawa Ont. so from the prairies we will plod along looking for spots to camp and not driving all day, I have several sites loaded up from ioverlander and some free camping sites along the way as the Ontario stretch is long and I find a bit lacking in free boondocking sites.

Stop in at Tbay to visit a buddy then two nights at Neys PP that I reserved already because I had to have that great spot we had in 2010!!

A week in Wawa Ont. at my Bro inlaws on Lake Superior on a beach!!

Then on over to my favourite city...........Toronto! for a while, not sure how long I will be able to stay??

As far east as Morin Heights PQ. Camping on a small river for free for a week in the Laurentions. Well its my folks place and I hope they wont charge me a fee??

West bound we will stay north a bit and go thru North Bay area and Superior again for a bit longer and stay at a few different areas. Then Riding Mountain PP. We really like Lake Superior! It is one big ash lake and beautiful!

Regina.

Lake Diefenbaker.

Drumheller.

Drive north on the Glacier Highway.

Home-ish.

Thats the general route and locations but as always we remain very flexible and loosy goosy when travelling and if we see a nice spot we will stay there even if we have only travelled 2 hours that day.

Some touristy spots will be visited because my wife has not seen many with this being her first time driving all the way, she flew the last time and the dog and I drove........twice without her, once in the Westy and once in this truck I guess.

We will be staying mostly in free spots if we can with a few exceptions but that is the general goal on most trips.

Any input on some interesting spots or good camping locs please let me know.

Will post some pics if able along the way.
    Anyone else doing a big trip this year?

Shoot me a PM if you're swinging through Ottawa - would love to buy you a coffee as payment for eye goggling the rig

Same here in Calgary if you need a rest stop. Our shop is just off the Hwy near Canada Olympic park.

Thanks guys we will keep it in mind, I used to live in Ottawa, went to Glebe.

Well hello Mr 55er. Welcome back. I'll throw in Cypess Hill south of Medicine Hat - you can drive the gap rd. When researching our MB trip I found quite a few touristy attractions in Winnipeg, you might want to look into that (incl the Royal Aviation Mus - and you'll know there's also big air one in Ottawa). After Drumheller if you want to turn s there's Painted on Stone and head smashed in, then you could take the FTR (#40) north of coleman (+ think there's a mine tour nearby, + the Frank slide) and hook up to your Rockies portion ...

I'm thinking for our big 2 wk trip driving out to Kenora this early Aug then maybe up to Windigo, wild fires permitting. Along the way I'd like to go thru Qu'eppelle V (that's suppost another poi fwiw)

travel safe !

~David

Quote Originally Posted by klahanie View Post
    Well hello Mr 55er. Welcome back. I'll throw in Cypess Hill south of Medicine Hat - you can drive the gap rd. When researching our MB trip I found quite a few touristy attractions in Winnipeg, you might want to look into that (incl the Royal Aviation Mus - and you'll know there's also big air one in Ottawa). After Drumheller if you want to turn s there's Painted on Stone and head smashed in, then you could take the FTR (#40) north of coleman (+ think there's a mine tour nearby, + the Frank slide) and hook up to your Rockies portion ...

I'm thinking for our big 2 wk trip driving out to Kenora this early Aug then maybe up to Windigo, wild fires permitting. Along the way I'd like to go thru Qu'eppelle V (that's suppost another poi fwiw)

travel safe !

~David
    Hey David,
    Thanks for the tips, my return route passes through the Qu'eppelle valley from advice from an ex-coworker that goes there every year to visit family and he might be there during our return trip, there is a route that cruises thru there. Nice area around Kenora but we have always had a tough time finding decent overnight stops. I'll have to google Windigo.... if you around Yorkton there is an odd lake and PP called Good Spirit Lake that had sand dunes on the south shore, the PP was in the trees and mossie's like crazy but the dunes and lake were neat, walk out a kilometer and maybe get knee deep water.. not sure if we will hit Cypress hills??

Thanks buddy, we will be in Wawa the first week of August if you get that far.

No worries and thks for that PP. Sand dunes are neat, reminds me we went to Great Sandhills but not really worth a side trip. Yeah Cypress, no biggy but fwiw re Grassland we camped at Rock crk east block and there was no one else there... oops did I post that out loud ! mostly a parking lot tho, went in off SK#2, last turn before the border (!) turn for Poverty Stn go past and there's a look out to the park, complete with the two parks Adirondack chairs - then CG is N of there. And when you leave there you could visit Big Muddy area to the E for the badlands and to climb Castle mtn (well come on, its a butte) enter from Harptree for the approach...

We like to go to the info centres to "hunt and gather" more junk to carry around in the truck but my girl did score a Sask Regional Parks booklet at one place. Was useful for finding a few spots to camp, sometimes small towns with a rec centre (pool, showers) and a cheap CG. Prob avail online but a hardcopy is better.

Thks for the offer, Wingigo is as far north as I can drive in ON - and still be guaranteed to see swamp.

I sure hope your not still packing, LOL

Great trip !

Just got in to Toronto......good trip so far, spent 3 nights in Grasslands and that was a great spot but I guess with the free entry pass the place is getting busy, got caught in a lightning storm while riding our bikes along the rim of a valley made us the tallest thing around and we rode like hell to get back to the camper before we got zapped! Riding Mountain was also great, we were chased by a bear there! Fastest I have seen my wife run!!

Lake Superior has some very nice spots along the north shore and definitely worth a few nights, we spent almost three weeks from Tbay to Wawa, Neys PP is a spot we really like and stayed three nights but other than that we have camped for free along the way. Lots of travelers with many moto bikers doing the "Around lake Superior circle route" which is on the bucket list for the future. Stop in at Wawa if anyone is driving, some great chip stands there and Youngs trading post for pickles and fudge is mandatory along with checking out the BIG GOOSE!

Next Niagara, then off to the Laurentions north of Montreal then start heading back to BC if it isnt burnt up.

Oddly enough we have not taken many pictures on this trip, I guess just remembering the images is OK and been there done that for me keeps the camera in the case but we have some and will post up soon.

Hey, Now heading back. We went to Good Spirit, thx. I'll toss one back, Spruce Woods PP, MB Has a dune type hike and a good CG, shwrs and interpretive centre. Good for an overnighter. No lake tho ...

And if your secret qu'appelle route leads you to camp at Echo Valley check out the overflow sites. Good shwrs there also.

~Later
    Last edited by klahanie; 08-17-2017 at 09:01 PM.

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]