Thread: 2016 Colorado Z71 Overland build

OLC Member

Default 2016 Colorado Z71 Overland build

Hi all: I bought my truck, a 2016 Chevy Colorado crew cab, long-box, Z71 last November with a dealer installed BDS 5.5" lift, Fuel Vector 20" rims and Toyo Open Country MT II Extreme 305/55R20 tires. It also has dealer installed, round-section step bars (mounted to the body not the frame). Over the last month I've added a Wilco Offroad Hitchgate Classic offset, a full size spare (I removed the old spare and tire hanging equipment), an ARE CX HD canopy, a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform and an ARB Simpson III roof top tent.

Future plans include an ARB 2500 awning, a radio, portable air compressor and a portable house battery; maybe a fridge. I have to build a tool/accessories box into the drivers side of the canopy.

My only concern at this time is how the 20" rims, and therefore relatively low profile tires, handle airing down when the trail gets rough; I've only driven forest service roads so far.

Nice rig!

as for the wheel and tire, the more meat you have around a wheel, the more efficient the deflation will be, and it is also more protection for the wheel.

cause even when traveling dirt roads, when they get rough, you can deflate to increase confort and drivability. With 20" wheels, you need much bigger tires to reach the same point.

my 0,02$

and again, nice rig!

OLC Member

Thanks Lucky j: I'm really interested to hear from others that run a similar rim/tire combo. I can't fit a bigger tire and I can't go with smaller rims as the BDS kit uses a new, taller knuckle to keep the factory suspension/steering geometry. I'm not planning on serious rock work but I do expect mud, sand and snow and some rock climbing. The really long wheelbase and overall length is also a limiting factor; it's around 6.3m long with the spare on the back.

OLC Member

An update: I cut-down my old Yakima set-up for my kayaks and using spare ARB RTT parts was able to mount the equipment to my Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform without much fuss. I also added an ARB 2.5m awning on the right which meant offsetting the RTT about 3" to the left. Despite this, the annex works fine: