Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toronto - Salt Lake City trough Colorado and Moab.

OLC Member

Default Toronto - Salt Lake City trough Colorado and Moab.

Hey everyone.

It's been a while since my last entry on this forum. It was also a while since we took a longer than a weekend camping trip..

Unfortunately we have missed this seasons Roaming Rally, but only cause we have three weeks of vacation to spread over whole year and last winter week long drive to Chisasibi already burned one of them.
    For summer trip we wanted to have something special and Utah and Colorado surroundings I think will be just perfect for this occasion.

We're going to leave right after work in early afternoon and make a first stop overnight in about 6h after departure at south east shore of lake Michigan. Next morning we should be able to reach atleast central Kansas and after camping over night head up towards southern end of Kansas/Colorado border most likely on Hwy 160 heading towards trails along Hwy 550 in Colorado trough Silverton and Black Bear Pass, than continue through the trails enter Utah and head up to Moab swinging by Shafer and White Rim trails ultimately ending up in Draper just south of Salt Lake City.

.. So it is a rough plan for the trip.
    I would like to ask you about where to camp in Colorado and a specially in Kansas? Or in general how is looking camping in state parks? Fees regulations etc. or maybe someone knows some nice and not to pricey private camp sites in mentioned areas?

Thanks and I'm open for all suggestions.
    Mike.

Ps. Here is rough idea for the trip.

https://goo.gl/maps/xywZpyr8iAK2
    Last edited by Mikey PL.; 06-14-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Wow, nice plan!

as for camping, it as been a while, but I did make the trip from Vancouver BC back to Quebec by motorcycle, trough the US, but this was 27 years ago, but some town had cheap public campground for like 5$. Service were at a minimum, but still had showers and restrooms in nice quiet area. Some were even volonter contribution.

OLC Member

Sounds like a great trip. Unless you want to see some of those cities, I would try to get a faster route around them. They could use up a lot of time in traffic.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

OLC Member

Thanks guys for replying.

True I haven't thought about driving through major cities. Indeed traffic can be bad. We'll plan route arond them. Thanks for advice.

Yes camping for 5$ dollars a night would be great of course but as long as we are informed correctly camping in state parks looks like 10$ for park entry and 15$ for a tent so looking at it its been 27 years since 5 bucks a camp it isn't that bad at all..

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mikey PL.; 06-15-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Geez. Go south and through Bryce Canyon and Zion Park, instead of cutting east from Mexican Hat, go south through Valley of the Monuments, then swing east to Durango. It's an easy day trip
    from Durango up to Silverton and then you can do Black Bear Pass down into Ouray and back. If you go through Salt Lake City don't miss tour of Mormon Tabernacle, impressive.
    Some ideas to look at. Moab is awesome for hiking, as well as off road stuff.

That route through south Chicago area will have tolls on the 94, keep $1.50 for about 4-6 stops through there. Are you a real gear head, car guy? About 20 miles north of Kalamazoo is
    the Gilmore Car Museum. 300 of the finest cars in a single place. If you are avoiding Detroit, there is the Ford Car Museum, epic is an understatement.
    Last edited by cruiserpilot; 06-15-2017 at 08:07 PM.

OLC Member

Thank you Cruiserpilot for the ideas. We're looking in to them right now. We'll try to get the most from this two weeks so we won't have much time to chillout..

OLC Member

... BTW.
    Any good app for Android I could log the trails on?
    Once we will be back we would share it on forum here.

Can't help with apps. I'm from BC. Before Computers.

If you want to log the tracks and have an ando´d thing, OsmAnd+ will give you roard and topographical maps and you can store them all on the memory card of your andro´d thing. And you will have many of the back road and trails already on it, plus city maps and you can use it for a gps and travel and directions.

OLC Member

Thanks Lucky J.

Im going to try that app. I want to get something that makes files compatible with any GPS based device..
    I was using in the past the Canada Topo Maps available for iOS and Android. I see there is also USA version in the play store so I'll see which one will be best over all gps map. I have also downloaded to sd card Google maps on my android phone I guess it will be its ultimate test..
    The Topo Maps app is a pdf scanned maps if anyone is interested. It was very handy on the last trip to Northern Quebec. - if anyone interested.