Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calgary -> Inuvik July 8 - July 23

OLC Member

Default Calgary -> Inuvik July 8 - July 23

Hi guys,

I have a window of opportunity to do the road trim on a Demster Highway this summer and would like to get some insight from people who have done it.

I am going to hit all of the regular sports on the way there:

1. Liar River Hot Springs
    2. Watson Lake (Sign place)
    3. Dawson City - staying 2-3 days here with potential to hit Top of the World Highway to Alaskan boarder
    4. Actual Demster highway (2 days up and 2 days down)

What I am struggling with, is the road on the way back. Plan is to return via Hwy 37 from Whitehorse to Calgary (via Prince George and Jasper).

Does anybody recommend anything to do/see on this part of the gourney?

General comments for the first timer on the Dempster Hwy are also welcomed.

Highway 37 is a must. It is better than the other route imo. It is more remote, so less traffic. Make sure to head down to Stewart/Hyder (37A) amazing drive down and the communities have their own charm (in a good way). There is also a bear watching area and Salmon Glacier.

Take the Nisga'a highway which comes out a little further west than 37 onto highway 16 so it doesn't add a huge amount of time. But if you do have time and haven't been it is worth tagging Prince Rupert while in the area, the town itself isn't the greatest but the drive out there is spectacular. I have been through there a few times, both in a car and on bikes, so if you have any questions fire away.

3. well from a guy who likes to keep moving I'd say that's a lot of time for Dawson. Me, I'd maybe rather add in Skagway for the drive and/or Atlin for the setting, both easy.

Stewart-Cassiar is worth it. There're some good side trips if you have the time, the glacier beyond Hyder for sure is one of them. And don't miss some of the Indigenous Peoples cultural attractions around the south end of 37.

As for Dempster my .02 is to get down from the vehicle where you can. Get the Demp hwy guide and take the time to talk to staff at Tombstone - to get what you can from them. IIRC we were 2+ days up and 2+ down, gave us a bit of time to stop and walk around a bit but an extra day (or half) to get away from the road to hike/fish/paint/whatever to really capitalize on the location would give an unforgettable experience.

Also, as you'll know this'll be the last chance to fly to Tuk and see it before the invasion ...

Enjoy !

OLC Member

Thanks for suggestions guys. I am actually looking forward to Hwy37 and Hwy37A now, as I thought it is going to be fairly boaring drive back.

I have added Atlin and Stewart to the list to see, again thanks.

As for 2 days in Dawson City, I was thinking to using one day to take Top of the World Highway to the Alaskan boarder.

Still investigating the posibility of Prince Rupert

Good deal, I haven't driven ToW but would like to, atleast to the border.

If you decide to follow the mighty Skeena to Rupert def get in an old cannery visit. For Stewart Cassiar I'll mention a quick side trip to Cassiar mine (closed) to see the visible asbestos seam, Boya Lk for the swimming (if it's not mobbed) Kinaskan for the fishing (and there's a waterfall just south), Mezadian is not bad for a campground and fuel stop - we once watched a wolf on the hwy just west. Of coure you might find some bush camping along the way instead.

If you're looking for some dirt, there's the drive atleast to Tahltan to see the river/canyon. At Cranberry Jtn you can turn off west to visit Nisga'a Territory mentioned above and the memorial lava bed etc or east to Kispiox via the cut off but you'll miss some of the totems off #37. And yes there's tons more other stuff in BC and Yukon - it's just the time thing ...

btw we make good use of tourist info centres for brochures for now and later, have our own library of them now. Like AB, gov BC produces some good guides that you can prob order for free. Kinda fun to get excited about visiting but we've learned if one of the top 3 things to do in a place is "bird watching", well, we keep going
    Last edited by klahanie; 05-05-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Last time I was through. 2012. The gas station at Mezdian junction was burned down. Next closest gas is Bell ii up the highway or down in Stewart. I was on a bike on that trip and it was a good thing Stewart was downhill from there..lol.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by levron View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a window of opportunity to do the road trim on a Demster Highway this summer and would like to get some insight from people who have done it.

I am going to hit all of the regular sports on the way there:

1. Liar River Hot Springs
    2. Watson Lake (Sign place)
    3. Dawson City - staying 2-3 days here with potential to hit Top of the World Highway to Alaskan boarder
    4. Actual Demster highway (2 days up and 2 days down)

What I am struggling with, is the road on the way back. Plan is to return via Hwy 37 from Whitehorse to Calgary (via Prince George and Jasper).

Does anybody recommend anything to do/see on this part of the gourney?

General comments for the first timer on the Dempster Hwy are also welcomed.

Two weeks is doable, but you'll be wishing you had a third week or at least the ability to extend by a few more days...

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    Two weeks is doable, but you'll be wishing you had a third week or at least the ability to extend by a few more days...
    There is never enough time while you on the road and seeing stuff

So far based on your recommendations I have shorten the stay in Dawson city to one day, thinking that I will leave Alaska for a separate trip. But did add the prince Rupert and overnight stay in Stewart with a plan to visit the glacier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by levron View Post
    There is never enough time while you on the road and seeing stuff

So far based on your recommendations I have shorten the stay in Dawson city to one day, thinking that I will leave Alaska for a separate trip. But did add the prince Rupert and overnight stay in Stewart with a plan to visit the glacier.

Since you are going that route....
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...arkpgs/nisgaa/

https://www.google.ca/search?q=nisga...w=1920&bih=947

edit:
    if she is still working there this year you'll have to watch out for that Asian lady border guard at Stuart....
    Last edited by westcoaster; 05-05-2017 at 04:57 PM.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by westcoaster View Post
    Since you are going that route....
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...arkpgs/nisgaa/

https://www.google.ca/search?q=nisga...w=1920&bih=947

edit:
    if she is still working there this year you'll have to watch out for that Asian lady border guard at Stuart....
    Thanks for suggestions. I will look into this park.

What is the story with Asia lady? My understanding there is no USA boarder guard so you only have to clear Canadian boarder on the way back