Thread: winch bar and winch will add 220lb (or more) what to do with springs and shocks?

OLC Member

Default winch bar and winch will add 220lb (or more) what to do with springs and shocks?

Hi folks: for those of you that have added significant weight to the front end, what did you do about upgrading your suspension? How did you go about this? I have a 2016 Colorado with a BDS 5.5 lift that reuses the factory coil-overs by adding extensions at the tops. My first thought would be to replace these with full-size coil-overs but which ones and how to calculate the right ones? Is there a table somewhere to match extra weight with spring/shock combo? I haven't been able to find one. Any sage advice would be most welcome.

Welcome newbie !

For Superdutys Ford offered 2 heavier rated springs which fit my 350 and I could buy at the parts counter. I knew what the rating was for mine as well as the others available so it was easy to decide. Some of the aftermarkets I researched just said 33% stiffer or the like. I added 150lbs and felt it off highway even with stock 6000lb springs ... note the effective weight is greater when placed forward of the axle by a factor of distance/wheelbase so might be 125 or 130% on the axle. Knowing your current spring rating is a good start (prob same as GFAWR) and then how much wt is to be added for a comparison.

I'd like to say talk to good spring shop but know that's easier said than done ... still, that's a lot of weight so best to get as much info/opinions as possible.

OLC Member

I've replaced my springs with heavier rated ones. I wanted OME and they have very detailed tables with all the possible specs for their springs.
    Ie. For my gas JKU I've added full front width bumper and winch so I picked the springs that are rated for the heavier diesel engine with steel bumper. Matched with medium duty rears (which are heavier than the stock ones) as I did not add a rear steel bumper. My JKU sits perfectly level and the ride is pleasant.

When you say winch bar, are you talking about the full winch bumper or just the winch mountaing plate.

my warn 9500HS with 5/16 winch plate is nowhere near 220 lbs. More around 150lbs with steel line.

OLC Member

Thanks for the responses folks: Lucky j: I'm talking about a full bull bar; Fab Fours make a pretty decent "premium" model with a pre-runner guard, a small, raised cross bar so I'm estimating the total weight to be the new bumper and winch minus the old lightweight bumper. I should have noted that I'm about to buy a canopy, an ARE CX HD with the internal aluminium bracing and probably a Wilco Hitchgate to carry a full size spare at the back. The extra load at the back should not be such an issue as it is a pick-up designed to carry load but klahanie's point above regarding moment is a very valid one. I can always add one of those leaf-spring helpers at the back if things look saggy; a big roof top tent may do that. I'm sure that it's the front end I have to worry about more. My truck is also going to be really loooong! It's already a crew cab with a long bed; I'll be adding at least a foot to the front and about two to the back. Forest service roads for me!

Administrator

I bought different springs for my coil overs. Worked like a charm. After I installed the front bumper and winch my front dropped and performance was compromised.
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca

Well make sence.

also just went back to your firts post and agree that going with oem coil will be weak with the load. To me a lift should be made of suspension component like better spring, not spacer over oem springs. So yep, go for it. But I do not beleived that the fab4 bumper should be that heavy. It is well built with a massif look, but the way it is built make it possible to go with steel gauge that is not that thick and that heavy.

they say 160lbs. and made from 3/16 plate. still fairly beefy. I would agree that a bigger coil over would be best
    Last edited by uriedog; 04-20-2017 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uriedog View Post
    they say 160lbs. and made from 3/16 plate. still fairly beefy. I would agree that bigger a bigger coil over would be best
    Indeed, make for a fairly heavy set-up. It should live a looong life!