Thread: Gaspé coastline erosion and a changing world

Default Gaspé coastline erosion and a changing world

Watched a story on the news tonight about the town of Percé, QB and it's struggle with coastline erosion. It's not a new story for the town or the area. And of course we know many, many places are facing challenges attributed to climate change.

Video here (7:42):http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/e...oast-1.4010048

Thing is, I've wanted to visit the peninsula since learning of it in grade school. In fact, like many on here I imagine, I've wanted to see all sorts of places in Canada ... "one day". But increasingly I wonder how those places and opportunities they provide, like wildlife viewing, might be changed or "gone" before I see them.

So to make this into a discussion, has anyone brought forward their plans or re arranged their travel punch list because of a similar concerns ?

~David

Nope, not yet.

as for the Gaspé coastline, the actual drawback is that some of the tipical wonders or should I say beautys might not be as they used to be for next summer, until the local and province government decided what they will do to stabilized the shoreline.

now, indeed, many coastline will change here in the country and around the world in the decaded to come. Even in my comunity here at Les Escoumins, a part of the village is located maybe 5 feet higher that the highest tide level for now. Part of it is enclosed in a bay, but part of it is expose to storms and is basicaly on a sandy point. how this will turn out? Also on the Quebec north shore, many sandy point are lossing ground every fall and winter storm.

will this change my travel plans, I do not think so. But it is sad for the population of those area.

We brought forward a trip to Churchill to see bears. Actually, we went in the summer instead of fall but it all worked out. Based on what I heard from some tour operators there the fall viewing is pretty hit and miss. One could spend a lot of money and see nothing but snow ... Contrast that to in the seventies when reportedly you could take a taxi to the garbage dump and almost be guaranteed a sighting (I know, not quite the same thing !)

Icefields parkway would be another obvious example. I'd guess what you'll see in 10-15 years will be different than 10-15 years ago. OTOH I just shoveled the driveway; we've had snow on the ground for 3 months straight !

You are pulling a memory from my brain. I would assume that the Columbia Icefield is probably smaller than the last time I saw it 34 years ago.