Thread: Scotland 2017

Default Scotland 2017

Well the wife and I have booked this years trip and we have decided to overland and explore Scotland in May! It will be all on road with a rental VW Camper Van but we intend to do a fair bit of hiking and exploring. Castles (old and unused plus some maintained and operating), Loch Ness, distillery's, camping, metro exploring and so on. We plan to do a little bit of everything and really experience the culture. I plan to bring you all along for the ride and pertain to overlanding aspect - specifically how it goes with the rental and all of the stuff they stock it with, the food we make and where we make it, the local fare as well of course and more.

This is our tentative route (subject to how we feel on a given day or wherever our whimsy takes us):

An idea of the van as per the rental company:

Dynomite ! That's gonna be awesome for you guys, congrats.

Can't see your route. But for sure you'll visit Edinburgh castle ?

Quote Originally Posted by klahanie View Post
    Dynomite ! That's gonna be awesome for you guys, congrats.

Can't see your route. But for sure you'll visit Edinburgh castle ?
    I think we will be going by it but might not pay for the tour. The wife is really good about value and the reviews say there are so many castles and that one is just as well seen from the outside as the inside. But we will decide when we spend a few days in the town. Our hub will be Glascow though for flights in and out then a short two day lay over in Edinburgh via train.

Try this attachment for route but I think it should be visible my most because I can see it on my chrome browser. Anyone able to confirm?

OLC Member

Image shows up fine for me, looks like a nice trip

Default FINALLY UPDATING

Well we actually have been back for sometime now but the wife took some time to edit some good pictures for us to share. Honestly we didn't do a lot of the typical photo taking we have in the past where we get lot's of everything around us and include ourselves in shots. We enjoyed Scotland immensely and were really truly living in the moment of all of it which I really appreciated. When she took pictures they were deliberate and well thought out and spaced around all of our activities.

The battlefield of Culloden was a sobering place where you feel the final breathes of fallen Highland Soldiers. Take the time to google the history and final battle - it is sooooo worth it. And if you ever visit this was a big highlight of the trip for us.

There is too much awesome to say about the trip and Scotland! I would tell everyone to go if you even have a little interest. We did two distillery tours which were worlds apart in style; Talisker was polished and refined with the best rated tour by many people and it truly was great and informative and enjoyable but the other distillery was Old Pulteny and it was very REAL. Cramped, crowded, musty and rough - the employees were all amazing, the experience was enriching and I just can't explain the feeling of "awe" it left me with although the one con was that the tour guide was almost shy and a little too quiet which was part of why they aren't the "#1 tour".

We saw some super old stuff - neolithic to be more precise. Cairns and standing stones that (parts of) have stood for 8000 years! Humbling to say the least. They are nestled into areas further away from the modern world and we saw almost no other tourists at them. It's like people don't even know they exist there. Katt wouldn't let me crawl into the one that was known to have housed peoples remains for two reasons: #1 they were pretty spooky and #2 there was a story of a hefty woman who got stuck once and although I could have certainly fit she thought it would be safer not to.

In the big cities, Ediburgh and Glascow, we went to a very large museum (can't remember the name), the Elephant House Cafe (where JK Rowling cites her inspiration for Hogwarts while writing in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle), a comedy club, an amazing dinner at this cool restaurant called "The Witchery" where many "witches" were executed a long time ago and again lots lots more.

If you look at our pictures below it is mostly of the country and some older things; I will try to title them as well so you get a more detailed idea of everything. But you will see the beauty by just glancing and the history can really overwhelm you.

Lastly, the van and overland aspect of this trip. We are pretty much sold on this van and this rental style for future trips. Since there is no real off-roading in much of the UK anyway why go out of the way to rent a harsh, fuel guzzling ride that will either have you tenting or in hotels. This Van was a wonderful home to cook, sleep and drive in. IT GOT 43 MPG!!! And it saved the money of accommodations. We camped on some back roads and in parking lots of parks right in some cities and in the middle of their nowhere. We loved the freedom of the road and the ability to adapt to changes in plans because there was no need to make a reservation anywhere or plan sooo far ahead before we got there which forces you into places when really the adventure may be elsewhere.

All in all it was a magical trip!

Default Pics

Views from the Isle of Skye

The Camster Cairns - largest on the mainland of Scotland

The Standing Stones and Clava Cairns just outside Inverness

John O' Groates area - northern most point in the mainland UK

Eilean Donan Castle

A pretty flower macro shot

The bed and breakfast we stayed at our first night and rented the camper van from

A really cool area we camped at after visiting Glen/Ben Nevis Range and this is in the Glen Coe Range. the waterfalls are hidden down a short path but invisible from the road. A very cool find

Some Scottish Red Deer

A hike through part of the Glen Nevis Range to a large waterfall * caution DANGER OF DEATH lol

A short stop at Loch Ness

Harry Potter Train

Glen Brittle

The "Fairy Pools" on Skye

The Van

Hey I was looking forward to your photos and wasn't disappointed ! The standing stones remind me a bit of "Highlander" (took a few seasons for my girl to tire of looking at that guy "Jamie" ) Great to read you had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

My grandparents came from Kilmany, i would love to go there.