Thread: New guy from Montreal area... not quite an "overlander" yet.

OLC Member

Default New guy from Montreal area... not quite an "overlander" yet.

So, I wrote an entire introduction and when I went to Submit, the forum told me to go back and re-login... so my whole post is now gone.

It was long enough that I can't be bothered to type it all in again.

Short version: New truck (4RUNNER), but building an epic overland rig will take a few years. Can't afford to build a rig to rival all those Youtubers in a few months... some of us have budgets, and jobs, and families. The build will have to be carefully planned so each purchase offers the most bang-for-the-buck. Hopefully 2017 will bring some proper A/T tires for the truck, and maybe even a winch set-up. Beyond that, dunno'.

In the mean time it won't be weeks of cross-continent overlanding... just a few day trips. (Also have to convince the wife that sleeping in a tent on teh roof is a GREAT idea.) I'll be looking for some interesting drives in the Laurentians, perhaps a day spent driving through a ZEC will turn up some challenging trails.

Hopefully in the future I'll get to meet some of you... perhaps even cross paths on a trail somewhere.

Welcome aboard !

Funny, over Xmas I was looking at some of those ZECs and all those roads in Northern QC, but oh so far from the left coast !

btw I've been burned by the "log in again" request but find if I re log in immediately and without changing the page my text is usually remembered (was auto saved)...

Good luck with your build !

OLC Member

Welcome to the club.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Tu peux venir nous voir ici : http://www.expeditionnismequebec.com/

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankspinz View Post
    Tu peux venir nous voir ici : http://www.expeditionnismequebec.com/
    Merci pour le lien.

I never knew about that site.

Default BLD by Toyota!

Welcome to the group! Can't wait to see some pictures from your adventures! Stock 4runners are fairly capable. Is it a TRD-OffRoad? If so you should have a rear locker which puts you miles ahead of people and if not you still have a fantastic traction control system from Toyota.

Check out this video and see how their traction control works when stuck in sand. The idea of a "break-lock-differential" applies to where if in 4-lo the ABS sensor detects one tire is freely spinning it will apply individual break pressure to that tire which will transfer power to the tire with too much traction/resistance. It is an amazingly impressive ability that has been adopted by lots of brands now but Toyota was on of the first.

Second video is tricky unless you know what to look for but if you watch the tire in the air as it spins it will suddenly stop and he sort of pops forward - no lockers necessary!

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGSD View Post
    Welcome to the group! Can't wait to see some pictures from your adventures! Stock 4runners are fairly capable. Is it a TRD-OffRoad? If so you should have a rear locker which puts you miles ahead of people and if not you still have a fantastic traction control system from Toyota.
    It's the Trail Edition (2016) which I believe is now known as the TRD Off Road in 2017. And yes, I do have the rear locker and all the off-road specific electronics like crawl-control, multi-terrain select, etc.

I hadn't seen that video before, but I have done a little mild testing with the crawl control in deep snow and ice encrusted trails. I can't wait for Spring when I can get up north and find some proper trails to explore. The truck is definitely capable... I have faith in what it has the potential to do. The only significant let-down was Toyota's decision to put really mild H/T tires on it. It's very frustrating to have spend a fair chunk of change on tires in the first few months of ownership of a brand new vehicle because the manufacturer skimped out.

Jeep, that first video is impressive - I'd love having a feature like that. Thanks for posting.

The second vid (ya, slipped in a Jeep - you sly d*g ) is also impressive. But since I don't often drive in the projects ...