For those who love military vehicles

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/-/172421243759

OLC Member

Expensive, but that Kaiser.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nd4SpdSe View Post
    For those who love military vehicles

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/-/172421243759
    You would have to pay me the $9800 to take it. Real POS those things are, totally political move to procure them as they were made in Kim Campbell's riding.

Quote Originally Posted by binrat View Post
    You would have to pay me the $9800 to take it. Real POS those things are, totally political move to procure them as they were made in Kim Campbell's riding.

Political BS aside, are they really that bad? What's wrong with them? (honest question)

I don't know anything about them but always liked the look of them.
    - Chris
    2001 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L
    2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L
    2005 Starcraft 11RT
    My other car is in pieces

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Root Moose View Post
    Political BS aside, are they really that bad? What's wrong with them? (honest question)

Found this through a google search...

http://www.military-today.com/trucks/lsvw.htm

And a thread on a forum.... I didn't read all of it, but they aren't all that impressed...
    https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=54140.0

Way under powered, like to catch fire when stressed to much (deep mud or pulling another out of mud), not really capable of off road muddy conditions unless chained up on all 4's, put weight on it and have fun stopping...... Failed every test the Canadian testing facility did to it.
    The DND testing facility closed down after that and many that were there were sent to the winds. Most received career stopping yearly reviews after if they failed it in testing. I worked with 4 of them after their Unit was disbanded, totally got screwed by the Ivory towers of NDHQ.

OLC Member

I was in the CF as a Vehicle Tech for 4 years, was posted to Edmonton for 3 years. The LSVW kept me busy, Western Star but assembled by Bombardier, small 4cyl turbo diesel, the vehicle was overweight for its power plant and transmission. The trans was a ZF 3 spd auto IIRC and due to the vehicles weight a lot of shifting, topped out at around 100km/h with a tail wind, most if not all the failures were due to heat, they even had a vary deep tranny pan for extra capacity but it only prolonged the eventual death of the trans. The t-case was a variant of the Borg-warner 1356 manual shifted but had a PTO provision, the t-case its self was actually a good case, Ford ran it in the F-series and the fullsize bronco from 87 through to 96/97 and had a 2.73:1 low range. The rear diff had a mechanical locker which was a nightmare to operate, the linkage ran the length of the vehicle and was solid bar style, no cables, so it didn't take much for it to bind up. They did tend to catch fire, mainly due to the poor heat shielding and location of the wiring in the engine compartment. The wiring was a nightmare all on its own, 95% of the wires were white and only ID'd by numbers stamped on the sheathing that usually rubbed off when trying to clean the dirt off. The engine and trans would probably be a great combo for a samuri, the t-case will bolt into any ford (80-97)with a 31 spline output shaft trans. The rear diff I can't recall the manufacturer but its quite strong, never seen or heard of one failing and if the locker was cable actuated, shafts were around 1.5" but might make an interesting swap. The rest of the truck is a crap shoot.