Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A 2017 Tacoma TRD OR Build

subscribed!!!

Great start so far!

Beautiful truck!

Thanks guys! The habitat can't come soon enough, as I can't wait to get out and go camping with it!

The habitat I likely won't get until May, so until then, I'll turn my focus on getting the Tacoma re-geared with 4.88's. I've also got a couple bumpers I'll send out to get prepped and likely install them in the next month or so.

I also want to extend the diff breather tubes and start my prepping for the interior of the habitat, so I may start looking at how I want to go about with that.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Junior83 View Post
    I also want to extend the diff breather tubes.
    I routed mine into the cavity behind the driver's side taillight. Easy job.

4.88 wow thats low. I think stock is around 3.9.

OLC Member

I agree with the gearing. What tire size are you going with?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I agree, it does seem unusually low. I'm running 33" tires currently but I'll be adding a ton of weight (800lbs+) and from the way it's already pulling, with only the larger tires, it feels like the gearing is not made for any additional weight. It appears this is a common issue with the newer tacomas and everyone that's done the change to 4.88's says it totally changes the feel of the truck and runs much better with those gears.

This is not something I have had to do with any of my previous rigs and therefore not used to having to do. My jeep has 35" tires and probably 800lbs in addititional weight over stock, (in addition to spending a summer towing a 1800lb trailer) and has been absolutely fine with the stock 3.73's. My first instinct is it is due to the Atkinson cycle engine.

Quote Originally Posted by 0210 View Post
    I routed mine into the cavity behind the driver's side taillight. Easy job.
    Awesome! What materials did you use to extend the breather? Also, did you move the front too.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Junior83 View Post
    Awesome! What materials did you use to extend the breather? Also, did you move the front too.
    The front one already has an OEM "extended" breather mounted quite high, so you don't need to do anything there. I can't recall the specific part numbers as I did this a while ago. I used a thread on TacomaWorld.com as a guide - there are quite a few threads on this subject, and most have part numbers in them.

Here are a couple:
    - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...photos.111954/
    - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...es-pics.15686/

--

I'm curious about your gearing - what did the entire job cost you, and who did the work for you? I'm on 31s and wouldn't mind having a little more pick-up-and-go power

Quote Originally Posted by 0210 View Post
    The front one already has an OEM "extended" breather mounted quite high, so you don't need to do anything there. I can't recall the specific part numbers as I did this a while ago. I used a thread on TacomaWorld.com as a guide - there are quite a few threads on this subject, and most have part numbers in them.

Here are a couple:
    - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...photos.111954/
    - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...es-pics.15686/

--

I'm curious about your gearing - what did the entire job cost you, and who did the work for you? I'm on 31s and wouldn't mind having a little more pick-up-and-go power
    Thanks for the info, after doing some more digging since my last post I actually found the same helpful thread on TW. Thank you!

I haven't got the gearing yet but I'll let you know what I got for cost and the outcome in terms of power. I was thinking of going with Enrico in Mission.

I'm heading to the island this weekend to pick up my rear bumper before sending it and the front bumper to get powder coated by the guys at Top Coat in Abbotsford.