Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A 2017 Tacoma TRD OR Build

Default A 2017 Tacoma TRD OR Build

Now that my wife and I have two children plus a german shepherd, we realized the Jeep (Green Monstah) wasn't going to be large enough for our future excursions unless we decide to leave one at home... but how was I to choose who to leave at home? My wife wasn't happy that I even considered this.

So without being limited to having to haul a trailer behind the Jeep wherever we go, or being forced to put all the equipment on the roof (the latter would also force us to sleep on the ground, heaven forbid), we decided we needed a truck and being that we previously had a tacoma and loved it, we decided to give it another go.

When Toyota first announced the TRD Pro was going to be available in Canada, and that at the time, the only Tacoma available that would come with an automatic transmission, short bed and a locker, we decided this was what we would like, as the last tacoma we had was a comparable model, and therefore we had it imported across the border. However, shortly after, Toyota updated their website and released the pricing, and seeing it was over 50k and that they (finally) released the double cab off road model in Canada, it was a no brainer. We can save ourselves the premium price tag and buy the off road model.

In October, just days after our second was born, our truck was ready for pickup, and immediately the build began...

Last edited by Junior83; 11-21-2016 at 09:33 PM.

OLC Member

I have thought of this myself. I don't even have little ones anymore. Congrats.

OLC Member

Awesome. MGM for the win!

Lookin good!

Nice!

Nice truck. Looking forward to the build.

Thanks guys!

The list has already started and it's already long.

One of the first things I did, even before placing the order for the Tacoma, was start looking at solutions that would work, that would be able to transport a family of 4, a dog, our gear, and give us somewhere to sleep, and again, I didn't want to be tied to a home base, that is, I didn't want to be limited by a trailer, on both the trails and by having it serve as a home base. I wanted to be free to move pack and move about based on the capabilities of the Tacoma. I also wanted it to be able to serve around town by being able to just toss the dog and strollers (and other children necessities) in the back, and be able to take the family for a walk around town... In my mind this leaves me to 3 options, a camper (though not really dog friendly, nor could I use it for hauling stuff around town), a canopy with a roof top tent large enough to sleep 4, or 2 and 2 would sleep in the box with the dog, or a flip-pac (no longer in production) or AT Habitat (early in production).

After a long debate and a debate that could continue on this site, as everybody has their preferences, we decided to cough of the change, and order an AT Habitat, and focus our build around it. I was early on in discussion with the folks at Adventure Trailers, asking tons of questions and getting more insight on what I want my habitat to come with and what we can live without.

Some of the standard things it comes with for those that don't know are:
    -Easy 1 minute deployment and stowage
    -Sleeps 2 standard
    -Built in mattress
    -Clothing gear loft and 4 side pockets in tent
    -Insulated sleeping platform and shell walls
    -Built in awning by design covering entrance area
    -All aluminum composite construction
    -ruggedly designed for 44 travel
    -All season tent, no rain fly required
    -Standard color: Clear coated aluminum frame with white painted side panels

The options we chose for ours were:
    -Cab slider window
    -Side slider window
    -Side hatch door
    -Rear liftgate insert window
    -Interior lighting (single switched 9 LED, white)
    -12V power system (1 x 12V power port, 1 x double USB, 2 x LED lights)
    -Interior carpeting
    -Drop in panels to sleep 4 persons

Needless to say, I cannot wait to pick it up in Arizona when it's ready in February!

OLC Member

I've been drooling over AT habitat for ages. How much is that running you?

If I had known about these things prior to getting my canopy, I would have almost certainly got one.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much it'll be setting me back as the dollar fluctuates against ours, but it'll be around 13k US! Not cheap, but I do throw this product somewhere in the middle between a camper and a canopy, and being there is nothing else really like it on the market, it's hard to compare value.

To sustain the additional weight the habitat will, I decided to upgrade the suspension. I looked around for a simple reliable kit that is affordable and can sustain the weight and had a good track record.

The main lifts I looked at were the Toytec, Bilstein, and OME, and decided to go with the OME kit. I chose the kit for its simplicity and the option of choosing a kit that is made for the load you plan to run, plus the option to replace your leaf springs with Dakar springs.