Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 2017 Tacoma TRD OR Build

Hybrid View

Default A 2017 Tacoma TRD OR Build

Now that my wife and I have two children plus a german shepherd, we realized the Jeep (Green Monstah) wasn't going to be large enough for our future excursions unless we decide to leave one at home... but how was I to choose who to leave at home? My wife wasn't happy that I even considered this.

So without being limited to having to haul a trailer behind the Jeep wherever we go, or being forced to put all the equipment on the roof (the latter would also force us to sleep on the ground, heaven forbid), we decided we needed a truck and being that we previously had a tacoma and loved it, we decided to give it another go.

When Toyota first announced the TRD Pro was going to be available in Canada, and that at the time, the only Tacoma available that would come with an automatic transmission, short bed and a locker, we decided this was what we would like, as the last tacoma we had was a comparable model, and therefore we had it imported across the border. However, shortly after, Toyota updated their website and released the pricing, and seeing it was over 50k and that they (finally) released the double cab off road model in Canada, it was a no brainer. We can save ourselves the premium price tag and buy the off road model.

In October, just days after our second was born, our truck was ready for pickup, and immediately the build began...

Last edited by Junior83; 11-21-2016 at 09:33 PM.

OLC Member

I have thought of this myself. I don't even have little ones anymore. Congrats.

OLC Member

Awesome. MGM for the win!

Lookin good!

Nice!

Nice truck. Looking forward to the build.

OLC Member

I agree with the gearing. What tire size are you going with?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I agree, it does seem unusually low. I'm running 33" tires currently but I'll be adding a ton of weight (800lbs+) and from the way it's already pulling, with only the larger tires, it feels like the gearing is not made for any additional weight. It appears this is a common issue with the newer tacomas and everyone that's done the change to 4.88's says it totally changes the feel of the truck and runs much better with those gears.

This is not something I have had to do with any of my previous rigs and therefore not used to having to do. My jeep has 35" tires and probably 800lbs in addititional weight over stock, (in addition to spending a summer towing a 1800lb trailer) and has been absolutely fine with the stock 3.73's. My first instinct is it is due to the Atkinson cycle engine.

OLC Member

Looks great. That habitat is awesome. Hope you get it soon so we can see it better.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xkid View Post
    Looks great. That habitat is awesome. Hope you get it soon so we can see it better
    Thanks! I know you're out east, but for those that want to see the habitat in person, I'll have my truck setup at the BC Overland Rally at Hemlock in June.

I'm finalizing the shipment details this week so hope to have it installed on the truck within the next couple weeks!