Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Not another Alexander MacKenzie thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by wjustin View Post
    Are you coming up from anihiam lake? Could always come up through the rainbow falls trail. That's the way we went out after talking to Walt lampard. He said the very last east section of gatcho lake hasn't been punched through in years. And there's one camping spot along that section, so we opted on that route. That part could be done in a full size. Pretty rocky and slow though.
    Quote Originally Posted by klahanie View Post
    Ha, I couldn't get past the history lesson in the second series !

So for the short cut Anaham to Vandrhof route, do you guys think the east entry is at the east end on Eulik Lake (would need to ford here ?), then east thru to Lamburts, then north to hook up with fsr roads ? (thinking about for a full size)
    If your traveling up from Anahim Lake (east to west on the trail) you could go past Lampard ranch to the Phillips place and do a U-turn, past the Phillips would be tough for a full size, up to there the trail is pretty open through that section. Then head north after Lampard ranch into Vanderhoof, there looked to be lots of branch roads through there that would be fun to explore. Some of it has active logging and radio call roads so you would need a VHF if you went up those.

Do you have a winch? I don't think I would go in there with out one, the ability to self recover would be pretty important. There are some mud sections through the section.

Forgot about that mudhole haha. Far right worked well

Quote Originally Posted by wjustin View Post
    Forgot about that mudhole haha. Far right worked well
    We went that side as well...lol

Sent from my phone.

^ Thanks guys. If that rainbow trail is the same one as marked on my BRMB it would jive with a "wagon road" from east Eluk mentioned in an old hiking resource and would appear to be a likely route for rancher/lodge owners travelling to Anaham, if only seasonally. It's not clear on G maps tho.

If we go I'd try east to west, that would tell me pretty quick if I was out of my depth and because it's a long drive in the other way from Vander (and maybe kinda boring). Winch for sure - wouldn't dream of it otherwise - and would probably pony up for some some traction board$ to bring along.

Just an idea at this point, always lots of competing alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by klahanie View Post
    ^ Thanks guys. If that rainbow trail is the same one as marked on my BRMB it would jive with a "wagon road" from east Eluk mentioned in an old hiking resource and would appear to be a likely route for rancher/lodge owners travelling to Anaham, if only seasonally. It's not clear on G maps tho.

If we go I'd try east to west, that would tell me pretty quick if I was out of my depth and because it's a long drive in the other way from Vander (and maybe kinda boring). Winch for sure - wouldn't dream of it otherwise - and would probably pony up for some some traction board$ to bring along.

Just an idea at this point, always lots of competing alternatives
    I think you could easily do the section from the rainbow falls trail through to Walt lampards place. Then take that fsr in pg. the trail between gatcho and there was fairly tame and scenic. The odd small bog, that I think even if you got stuck would be able to get fairly quickly . Just don't do the krestnuks wagon trail.

Awesome photos and trip report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments everybody!!

We just (finally) finished a video of the trip. Check it out here: https://youtu.be/1OE0CDDafnw

Enjoy!

Dan

Added to my watch later list - my boss is pretty chill with youtube at work for short things and music but I can't watch a 23 minute offroad video!

I am excited to see it tonight though

OLC Member

"Four friends and I drove the..."

No, no you didn't. You swam and sailed​, there was little to no driving!

Administrator

Great video!
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca