Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Not another Alexander MacKenzie thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by klahanie View Post
    ^ gee, thanks for noticing :blush: No glory for me please. And yes I saw a pic of that dodge in your tread and in this one, the shot up abandoned one right ? - mighty neighbourly of you to think of me

Jk, I'll check the map for that entry point, thanks. btw speaking of maps I read a reference to an expensive one in your tread on that other site. Got a chuckle out of that !
    Lol no not the red dodge, he didn't make it all that far. There is parts where you could get through if you spent some time clearing dead fall, just how much time would be up to you. For the most part a lot of the swamps had decent bottoms? I thought anyway. Expensive maps? Lol no expensive maps for us, we were using our pinky finger for scale! $hahaha

Great job Dan ! and thanks for the bonus pics of the second week.

So all these trail pics have me wondering out loud if there's any part of the AMHT route that might be suitable for a heavy, long, large fullsize ? Looks like alot of soft ground sprinkled in there (did I mention I'm heavy) and some tight turns. Might there be an "in and out" leg or two that would be "safe" for big fsr vehicle ? - oh, and probably solo ...
    Thank-you.

I would agree with @wjustin you will probably spend a lot of time widening the trail to get a full size truck through, that is if it has been cleared ahead of you. Those Expedition Overland guys had been there two weeks before us so the trail was pretty much clear but we still had to cut some trees out of the way.

Places to enter or exit the trail are listed traveling east to west. The first is the start at Titetown crossing. The second from Quesnel take the Nazko highway and take the Baezaedo Road turn off, this will bring you to Kluskus Lakes and village where the trail can be picked up. This will bypass the Blackwater river crossing (the first two days of our trip). The third is Messue Crossing which ties into an FSR from Quesnal, I am not sure how to get to that one from Quesnel but it is not really worth it as it is only a few km in from the second access point. The fourth is the route we took out to get up to Vanderhoof, this a very well maintained route and puts you in just past the ranch. And then the southern road at Eliguk Lake wjustin mentioned. East past Eliguk Lake is really narrow and my 4runner ended up with some dents.

Map:

As for solo, do you mean one vehicle and a couple of people or just you alone? It is remote and there are a few homesteads out there, one has an airstrip, but it is a long way help if you get stuck or worst case need medical help.

Wow, thank you for that excellent map and info. To your credit this tread illustrates the route more that any other media that I've seen and that will certainly help others interested in what is surely to become a more popular trip.

"Solo" is single vehicle, me and my wife. We're not 'wheelers by any measure so distant and "remote-ish" places is what we've done last few years. We also look for scenery so I was interested in the western part of your trip. And who could beat that weather ! We tried for that coastal lake years ago but it was socked in for us - will have to revisit after seeing your pics ....

cheers
    ~David

Wow, thank you for that excellent map and info. To your credit this tread illustrates the route more that any other media that I've seen and that will certainly help others interested in what is surely to become a more popular trip.

"Solo" is single vehicle, me and my wife. We're not 'wheelers by any measure so distant and "remote-ish" places is what we've done last few years. We also look for scenery so I was interested in the western part of your trip. And who could beat that weather ! We tried for that coastal lake years ago but it was socked in for us - will have to revisit after seeing your pics ....

cheers
    ~David
    Thanks again, myself and the others spent a lot of time trying to dig up information on the area and AHMT. I got lucky one night and found a GPS track from back in 2005 someone had uploaded. I wonder how this trail will hold up once Hema publishes the map that Expedition Overland GPS'd. Some of the trail does traverse private land, not sure how that will work.

I haven't spent much time exploring the Chilcotin and this was my first time west of Williams Lake and definitely will be going back. Awesome country, a person could spend a lifetime exploring there and still not see/go every where. There are a ton of FSR roads around the AMHT that would be great for a full size truck, one person we talked to said that the locals use them to go from Vanderhoof to Anahim Lake instead of circling around through PG and Williams lake. The Backroads map book is a good reference guide.

That sucks that hema is going to publish the trail, it will eventually get beat down and worn out from more and more ppl doing it. Those hema maps aren't cheap either. It's funny the bc back road map book has the trail laid out pretty good, and I asked the overland guys if they used it..... they never replied lol.

What an amazing trip, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by wjustin View Post
    That sucks that hema is going to publish the trail, it will eventually get beat down and worn out from more and more ppl doing it. Those hema maps aren't cheap either. It's funny the bc back road map book has the trail laid out pretty good, and I asked the overland guys if they used it..... they never replied lol.
    I was going to email them asking why they had no footage after the Phillips place. As for the map, they never made it through to Gotcho Lake so their route is incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by scanny View Post
    What an amazing trip, thanks for sharing!
    Thank-you.

Quote Originally Posted by djo.bike View Post
    I was going to email them asking why they had no footage after the Phillips place. As for the map, they never made it through to Gotcho Lake so their route is incomplete.

Thank-you.
    Yeah I've tried talking to them a few times about the trail, with no luck. I did how ever talk to that Kurt fellow. Seemed odd that they didn't showcase some of the more scenic stuff along the trail. Too dramatic for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wjustin View Post
    Too dramatic for me.
    Ha, I couldn't get past the history lesson in the second series !

Quote Originally Posted by djo.bike View Post
    they never made it through to Gotcho Lake so their route is incomplete.
    So for the short cut Anaham to Vandrhof route, do you guys think the east entry is at the east end on Eulik Lake (would need to ford here ?), then east thru to Lamburts, then north to hook up with fsr roads ? (thinking about for a full size)

Ha, I couldn't get past the history lesson in the second series !

So for the short cut Anaham to Vandrhof route, do you guys think the east entry is at the east end on Eulik Lake (would need to ford here ?), then east thru to Lamburts, then north to hook up with fsr roads ? (thinking about for a full size)
    Are you coming up from anihiam lake? Could always come up through the rainbow falls trail. That's the way we went out after talking to Walt lampard. He said the very last east section of gatcho lake hasn't been punched through in years. And there's one camping spot along that section, so we opted on that route. That part could be done in a full size. Pretty rocky and slow though.