Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable air compressor

Speed to do tires certainly isn't going to be your problem when finding one, it's definitely going to be duty cycle and operation over 50psi. A smaller compressor might work for you with a reservoir but considering how much tank you'd need to get to 70 psi multiple times it might not be worth the space.

Pricey but built for RV tires up to 120psi and is still portable.
    https://www.amazon.ca/40047-400P-RV-.../dp/B004B68XGC

If you want to buy an ARB unit. North Shore Offroad is having a promotion. Get a free guage or tie repair kit. Figured I'd mention it as I got the email last week.
    http://nsor.com/november-packages/

Thanks for the leads.

Not going to be buying anything high end, was hoping for cheap and easy because this was to be a aux back up unit for the big puma we carry. However bumping up the budget should get something (more) useful to me. Now I think I'll make both compressors semi permanent mount for redundancy and connectable for increased output. That will help justify the additional $$.

btw I contacted Viair hoping they had a chart of sorts giving duty cycle at varying psi (eg 33% @100psi = 40% @50 psi = 50% @30 psi) or even a rule of thumb conversion but they said they only rate at 100 and 200 psi.
    Last edited by klahanie; 11-14-2016 at 09:23 PM. Reason: clarify

You want to carry a back-up compressor??

What about a simple hd bicycle pump. They can pump at over 120 lbs. Take just a little longer, but it is for back-up wright, as in just in case, as a spare pump.

Hey, enought drops of water will overflow a 5 gallons bucket if you give it time.

it is just a question of volume.

if I was running a co2 bottle, I would think of a back-up solution, but since I have been running an on board compressor for more than 15 years, I never had a catastrophic failure that left me stranded.

If a need to carry a spare for a tool that only works a few time a month, should I get a spare enfine since that one runs 100% of the time?

I am just asking a si ple question, but in the end, it is your rig and you organize it as you plan.

good luck with your search.

^ Thanks !

Okay, it's true, I don't need another one. What I have now is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    I would check out the smittybilt high output one! 2781 http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/32.htm outside your desired price range but cheaper than an ARB
    We have the Smittybuilt and it has been very good so far. It got used a lot when we went to Moab last year and now we use it on the occasional weekend run and it has not let up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by klahanie View Post
    Thanks for the leads.

Not going to be buying anything high end, was hoping for cheap and easy because this was to be a aux back up unit for the big puma we carry. However bumping up the budget should get something (more) useful to me. Now I think I'll make both compressors semi permanent mount for redundancy and connectable for increased output. That will help justify the additional $$.

btw I contacted Viair hoping they had a chart of sorts giving duty cycle at varying psi (eg 33% @100psi = 40% @50 psi = 50% @30 psi) or even a rule of thumb conversion but they said they only rate at 100 and 200 psi.

For any reason, when I got my viair, on every compressor, you could find a rate. In my case, it was simply mention something like 100% duty cycle 150 lbs. But I understand that duty cycle could vary depending on how much it works according to the pressure. But again, I do not remember seeing this on any brand of compressor.
    Last edited by Lucky j; 11-17-2016 at 05:58 AM.

I have a viair 88p and I like it. Works good for what I need it for.