Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable air compressor

Default Portable air compressor

Any appetite for a 12v air compressor tread - every board has at least one ?

I've got a puma and like it
    http://www.buzzardgulch.com/opencart...roduct_id=4239

But now thinking about a small second compressor, something to carry in the DD that will also work as a back up for the 70psi truck tires. Preferably with an out the door for price of $100 or less. I've found 2 local units:

a Viair 73P for $53
    https://www.kmstools.com/viair-light...mpressor-65197

... and a Viair 88P for $92
    https://www.kmstools.com/viair-88p-p...pressor-118404

Not wedded to any brand or vendor. I've had the toy "inflator" units before but want something more robust and useful. Suggestions and comments welcome. Thanks.
    ~David

Moderator/OLC Vendor MillwrightMike's Avatar

I've got a Viair compressor with the alligator clips to go right on my battery terminals. Can't remember the model off the top of my head but it is well built, came with a long hose and I just keep it in one of the floor storage bins in my truck. Works great for my uses but I don't deflate/inflate my tires, I just use it for emergencies.
    Custom knives, sheaths & sharpening

I did a lot of searching before getting that Viair 88P you posted, it's an awesome little compressor. Pretty quiet during operation and the duty cycle being higher than all other Viair options is what sold me. I can do my little Vanagon tires in no time at all. Solid body that seems very well built, decent amount of cord and air hose also, no issues reaching my wheels but my battery is also in the middle of the van.

Would recommend for sure.
    Just checked my order history, picked it up on Amazon.ca for $76 in May 2016
    Last edited by MatS; 11-13-2016 at 12:04 PM.

OLC Member

I converted an A/C compressor for air, works great, runs air tools, airs my 31s up from 12 to 35 psi in about 40 seconds

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Was using a Viair 85P for the last 3-4 years inflating 32-33" tires. It was great, no problems and I think it was $50 on amazon when the dollar was great. Just upgrade to an arb because I want to air up faster and going to larger tires.

Thanks guys !

Good feedback on Viair, seems a quality brand and they have models that fit my budget. Only other concern with these small compressors is suitability at the psi I want (35"s say hot 48 -> 60psi fronts, 64 -> 76psi rears). I guess Mike would be similar at the top end.

Looking into it further, the rated duty cycle for the 88P is 25 mins at 30 psi. I wonder what's the duration at 60 psi ? If half the time, that could be insufficient. IDK.
    --- Mat, any guesses ? does the unit get super hot during use ?

The 300P would likely be better (33% duty cycle at 100psi - 20mins on 40 mins off) but costs ~$200 (maybe less on Black Friday).

Soundy that's awesome, I've seen some a/c conversions online. It's not for my truck though, not a cc of available space under hood !

EDIT thanks rabbit, that's another plus.
    Last edited by klahanie; 11-13-2016 at 03:43 PM.

With the kind of pressure you need you're definitely going to need a bigger unit than the 88P, once I'm done my 4 tires 195/75R14 from 5psi to 40psi the unit is pretty hot. I leave it out of the carrying case for 10 minutes before packing up.

Might want to save up $3-400 for an ARB unit and be certain it's going to work at that kinda pressure.

^ Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll have to up size some ...

I would check out the smittybilt high output one! 2781 http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/32.htm outside your desired price range but cheaper than an ARB

I have abd use a Viair hard mounted to my TJL jeep. It is mounted with a reserve of about 2 gallons fotted under the jeep between a frame rail and the rear driving shaft.

do not remember what model, but I know it is 100% duty but is a little less than 2 cfm. But with the reserve, not wasted air in between tires and is not that long to take 4x 35x10.5x15" from 10 lbs to 30 psi.

like it a lot, and was not to expensive in my case. Already had the tank and pressure control from a previous installation of an other compressor system.