Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KO2 or Duratrac ?

Went with 285/75r16 Duractracs for our 2013 JKU and they have been awesome on ice and in snow. We are in Prince George BC where these are serious considerations for daily driving. Noise is audible like any mud terrain. If you have better weather than we do I would likely suggest other tires though and if you plan to do a lot of highway you should know that I am disappointed with how quickly these have worn out. We went to MOAB and back and these are basically just mud terrains now with most of the siping down to the last mm of usability.

Temperature must not be really cold in your area to like bf mud tire. In cold weather and icy situation, they simply do not bite at all. Even slipery on plaine cold black top when 20 bellow 0.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGSD View Post
    Went with 285/75r16 Duractracs for our 2013 JKU and they have been awesome on ice and in snow. We are in Prince George BC where these are serious considerations for daily driving. Noise is audible like any mud terrain. If you have better weather than we do I would likely suggest other tires though and if you plan to do a lot of highway you should know that I am disappointed with how quickly these have worn out. We went to MOAB and back and these are basically just mud terrains now with most of the siping down to the last mm of usability.
    It's strange, I've replaced my first set of LT265/70R17 C load Duratracs at 90,000km. Drove them at about 36-38psi on my 4Runner and mostly on pavement.
    Last edited by scanny; 10-19-2016 at 05:06 AM.

Mine lasted about 50k at the most. That was on a Sierra 1500.

Most reviews on Duratracs have them wearing out quickly the heavier the vehicle is, regardless of load rating. You won't go wrong buying either.

Had 40,000kms on mine and they were at 11-12/32s, new is 18/32. Lots of wheeling and spinning wheels

OLC Member

No experience w/ Duratrac, but I do love my KO2s. Have yet to try them in the snow, though.

My next set will almost certainly be the 34x10.5 KO2 mentioned above.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky j View Post
    Temperature must not be really cold in your area to like bf mud tire. In cold weather and icy situation, they simply do not bite at all. Even slipery on plaine cold black top when 20 bellow 0.
    Oh, no no no! I did not say I like the bf km, just that I had nothing else on my jkur to compare. Bf km are the stock tires on Rubicon. I even stated I don't plan to get that specific tire again. I am on my second set and they wear too fast. I have only 50000k on my odometer and the second set is almost gone already.
    Last edited by jeep670; 10-23-2016 at 03:52 PM.

OLC Member

So.. I like the 34x10.5r17 narrow profile of the KO2 but I like what I hear about the DT in winter.
    Interestingly enough, CT has the 315x70r17 DTs on sale periodically for $285 (from reg $379) which is not a bad price at all. I'm still on the fence but that price may help with my decision.

No, I won't have CT install the tires. So don't jump me on that.
    Last edited by jeep670; 10-23-2016 at 04:06 PM.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep670 View Post
    So.. I like the 34x10.5r17 narrow profile of the KO2 but I like what I hear about the DT in winter.
    Interestingly enough, CT has the 315x70r17 DTs on sale periodically for $285 (from reg $379) which is not a bad price at all. I'm still on the fence but that price may help with my decision.

No, I won't have CT install the tires. So don't jump me on that.
    Narrower tires are better than wider ones in snow, so comparing winter-tire capabilities must be done with tires of equal size. With equivalent-sized tires, the Duratracs may be better (I have no experience with them), but I'd bet that a 315 profile Duratrac will perform worse than the ~255 profile KO2 (34/10.5).