Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I know, this is not overlandind or truck related but..

Lucky, no special tools other than a deep freezer to bend your copper pipe. Cap/crimp or plug one end of the pipe, or submerge the roll under water until you have all the air out of the pipe. With both ends of the pipe plugged to minimize water loss, throw it in the freezer. Once frozen, you can bend the pipe in whatever shape that you want without kinking it. I used this method to bend 20' of 3/8" copper pipe around a 1 1/2" steel pipe for a heat exchanger for the on board hot water system in my vehicle. Plumbed into the heater core of my vehicle, I use the dash temperature adjustment to control the water temp for when I want to have a shower out on the trail.

I have a left over piece of the 3/4" copper pipe. Will try that next week. But 3/4" is a beast compare to 3/8" and I'm not sure that my freezer is big enough for the diametwr of a 30" roll.

i have order the lever bender type 312 from rigid today. But I will try it and keep you posted.

Yup, 3/4" is a different beast than 3/8", but if you went to 1/2" and used more bends, that would give you more heat transfer due to the longer length used. You could also put the coil inside the stove for even more heat transfer. The only caveat to having the coil directly in the fire is that you need to ensure that there is enough flow through pipe to prevent boiling enough water in the low flow condition that you create a steam bomb. I blew up a campfire once when i fell asleep in the beach hottub, woke up later feeling a bit chilled, turned the pump back on and the very hot dry coil still in the fire blew **** to smithereens once fresh water hit it....

Wow.

the serpentine is in the stove. And from what I found on the net, and also on the experience I got using it for the first time last saturday, I beleive that the water will flow pretty well. But as it is with the few kinx ( one of them is bad) i get about a 3/8" diameter water flow out of my 3/4". Evaluation is from opening the 3/4" ball vavle on the lower line that I place there to flush the tub and the serpentine with only the upper vavle open. So water was only coming from the serpentine side.

If I get rid of the kinx, water should flow as the water heat-up. And I do not have a pump, so water is always in the line and flowing w/o major low or high pressure side. And the temp should be much better, as in not as hot coming out of the stove.

I will take picture next time I open the lid on the stove.

Will only get the bender in 2-3 weeks, but might try something as temporary mesure.
    Last edited by Lucky j; 09-08-2016 at 07:00 AM.

Ok, so I got a bending tool from ridgid for 3/4 copper. Dang, I did not realized that it was for 3/4" OD and that the pipe I got was 3/4" ID. I was so desperate about time and the fact that I could not find anything even on the net, that I got it machine for it to reach the 7/8" OD I needed. So here goes the garanty of the tool.

but, here is what it can do.

a hole stack of tube

25 feet later in the stove

Attached Images Attached Images

Now with all in place and operating mode

As you see, the wood I was using had to be dried before using it. I could have use dried hard wood, but I want to keep that wood to heat up the cabin for the winter to come. The hot-tub was still only a dream project last fall when we cut the 2 1/2 cords I need to heat up the cabin for the winter. So what I could used for the tub was a fell down year old soft wood tree that was soken wet. But with patient, it heated up the tub from 12h00 friday from 56 F to 86 F at 21h00 ( remenber, no water pumper hear) and 98 the following afternoon w/o full time fire. Saterday evening, was a very confortable 100 F and the following morning with fire out, temperatire was still 101 F when I left a 16h00 on sunday with just a little morning fire.

Wish I did not have to go back to work and would be back before three weeks. I enjoy this tub so much!!!

I still do not know if I will try to use it in winter, so this is why you see a 2" think pad of blue styrofoam under the tub, and a 1 1/2" layer that you do not see above, in the floor ribs, for a 3 1/2" total. If I go with the winter plan, I would wrap it up in. 2" foam cut in the same way the boad were cut, and probably wrap it in air foil, with at leat 2" if not 4" lid.

but this will be an other step, since we do get -35 c and many days of -20 in a row.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lucky j; 10-04-2016 at 08:51 PM.

This is really cool, and just in time for prime hottub season Good work

Quote Originally Posted by JaredC View Post
    This is really cool, and just in time for prime hottub season Good work
    Thank you! But for winter tubing in my neck of the country, i will need to come up with somekind of electric basic heating. When temp reach -20 and lower for few days in a row, it would be hard to keep the stove runing 24/7 for a week. Maine concerne is pipe bursting in the stove. I could flush every other week before leaving for my week at work and refeling for my week back at the cabin.

i will see. But for now, until the deep freeze, this is great!!!!

As planned, the tub as been empty since begining of december. Did not have time to play with insulation nore with electric back-up heating. Just started fooling around with the project for the begining or mid april.

now on an other topic, a picture of my room for of bug season. Foot warmer included.

Last edited by Lucky j; 03-05-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Eh did something change in the forum? I used to be able to post pics directly from an I-thing. Do not seems to be able anymore.