Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Sooo I bought another radio

  1. #11
    OLC Member Snowwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London, On
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Now just remember to run grounding strap between all the large metal parts of the truck. And don't forget to put a grounding d
    Strap at the end of the exhaust pipe up to the frame or you will have noise problems. Bond and ground like the straps are free.

  2. #12
    OLC Member uriedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bowness, Alberta
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Even on on a diesel truck?

    I have the radio grounded fairly well. No noise issues yet

  3. #13
    OLC Member Snowwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London, On
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uriedog View Post
    Even on on a diesel truck?

    I have the radio grounded fairly well. No noise issues yet
    Yup. You may not notice much on 20 meters and up but 40 and down you will hear your alternater( maybe) and your injectors. When you mount that ( and all your ham sticks) 20 ham stick, keep it as far back from the cab as possible..

    Mike
    VE3NLP
    2004 4Runner
    2016 Tacoma
    2014 Class 8 Volvo

  4. #14
    OLC Member binrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Strathmore, AB
    Posts
    321

    Default

    I personally only bond if there is an issue, compared to the bond everything or it won't work school of thought. Never experienced what you are talking about Mike. Three trucks and 8-10 different radios, some with amps, hamsticks, homebrew antennas.

  5. #15
    OLC Member Snowwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London, On
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by binrat View Post
    I personally only bond if there is an issue, compared to the bond everything or it won't work school of thought. Never experienced what you are talking about Mike. Three trucks and 8-10 different radios, some with amps, hamsticks, homebrew antennas.
    It's not a bond it to death or it don't work thing. It's a optimize performance thing. Your radio will work with just under a 2:1 antenna match but would you not like to have it at 1:1? Bonding the bed, cab, engine/transmission, and exhaust to the frame insures 1) that all large metal pieces are part of the ground plane, and 2) your RF ground does not have to share grounding with the electric system. Same reason you don't use the ground wire of your house wiring for your station ground.

  6. #16
    OLC Member binrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Strathmore, AB
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwalker View Post
    It's not a bond it to death or it don't work thing. It's a optimize performance thing. Your radio will work with just under a 2:1 antenna match but would you not like to have it at 1:1? Bonding the bed, cab, engine/transmission, and exhaust to the frame insures 1) that all large metal pieces are part of the ground plane, and 2) your RF ground does not have to share grounding with the electric system. Same reason you don't use the ground wire of your house wiring for your station ground.
    I think in some parts of the country it would be needed.
    I had 2 friends who went through the debate and we did a practical test using a field strength meter. One truck was about 4-5 years old, never Krowned for rust protection. Before bonding and after it should a difference. Second truck was brand new, never to experience an Ontario winter. Before and after saw no difference.
    So in seeing what happened there, I would say it really depends on the province and the amount of salt they lay on the roads in the winter. Alberta compared to Ontario, I figure it would take 10-12 years for Alberta to use the same amount as Ontario in 1 winter.
    Also I have seen people have decreased performance due to incorrect bonding, creating a ground loop or daisy chain the straps.
    Last edited by binrat; 07-19-2017 at 02:05 PM.

  7. #17
    OLC Member Snowwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London, On
    Posts
    27

    Default

    A lot of new truck and cars no longer use the trick of grounding lights and stuff to the body. They have the whole circuit in the wiring harness so the body parts don't need to be grounded for your lights, wipers etc to work. Got a guy in London here with a Ford F250. There is no electrical connection between the box of his truck and the frame or anything. The box is Insulated by the body mount bushings. He could not get his HF antenna on the box to tune because there was just not enough counterpose. One strap to the frame solved all the problems. Two more strap from the bell housing and the tail pipe got him an extra s unit on signal reports.

  8. #18
    OLC Member uriedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Bowness, Alberta
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Interesting. Right now the radio is in my Toyota (temporarily) and there is no problem I did notice a small amount of noise that turned out to be a loose fitting. I am using a Ham stick. The radio will be back in it's normal truck next month so I will check it out then.

    I did nothing the to 2M antenna, just swapped the coax over. SWR 1.5:1

  9. #19
    OLC Member binrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Strathmore, AB
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uriedog View Post
    Interesting. Right now the radio is in my Toyota (temporarily) and there is no problem I did notice a small amount of noise that turned out to be a loose fitting. I am using a Ham stick. The radio will be back in it's normal truck next month so I will check it out then.

    I did nothing the to 2M antenna, just swapped the coax over. SWR 1.5:1
    Dave,
    Western trucks tend not to need bonding compared to eastern trucks. If the province dumps lots of salt in the winter = corrosion and different body panels losing conductivity between each other.

  10. #20
    OLC Member Snowwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London, On
    Posts
    27

    Default

    [QUOTE=binrat;47042]Dave,
    Western trucks tend not to need bonding compared to eastern trucks. If the province dumps lots of salt in the winter = corrosion and different body panels losing conductivity between each other.[/QUOT

    Ontario does not use salt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •