Thread: Sooo I bought another radio

Hybrid View

Default Sooo I bought another radio

Well after 2 years of dual banding, and playing on repeaters. I decided that it was time for a little more long distance simplex operation. VHF/UHF is pretty awesome for up to 75Km, but wanted to try my hand at 3-500km and maybe a little DXing when conditions are good.

Sold my Yaesu FT8800 VHF/UHF rig, replaced it with a Yaesu FT8900 440/144/28/50 with cross band repeat. should be some more fun challenges.

The radio is already programmed and installed in the truck (it is exactly the same physically as the 8800) just need a new antenna setup now, and I am good to go!

awesome! i really want to get a fixed unit with more power for my truck. my handheld has some serious range limitations.

Psst, HF is a lot of fun mobile as well. Tell the wife you need another radio..... I have a spare couch if you need to hit one up for a few days after the needing another radio.

Oh no it happened again. Just picked up a IC 706 HF CW all modes +2m

still working on installing. I have an antenna for the 2m side. i'll have to get another for the HF. It uses 2 antennas.

So ya. FT8900r with CR8900a antenna will be in the for sale in the for sale section later tonight

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by uriedog; 06-12-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Well, its about time..
    I just sold my IC-7000 this spring from my truck. Just stuck with lonely 2 metre. I've shifted towards more SOTA operations for a spell.