Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Frontier Truck Bed Off-Road Trailer - The "Frontrailer"

Default Nissan Frontier Truck Bed Off-Road Trailer - The "Frontrailer"

First I'll say hi. Been registered for a few months, but I haven't really had time to post. I discovered this place a while after I started my trailer project, so I couldn't really Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V my project's progress and would have to sit down and write something new as a type of Cole's Notes for the project from start to date. If you guys want more details of the progress of the build, you can check out my threat on EP:
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...trailer-quotIf

If you wish to get more details through pictures, I have a Facebook page where I throw them all up and only post a select few in threads to keep it clean.
    https://www.facebook.com/NissanFrontrailer/

This has been in my head for quite a few years, it was just hard to find an affordable truck to start on. It jumped up as a priority cause with the girlfriend, we both love camping, but it's a more complicated camping with an RTT on the truck as opposed to being single. I want to keep camping the way I/we do, but make it easier, more comfortable, and have a "base camp" setup so we don't need to tear it down to use the truck. The irony is that my buddy's truck that I kind of based my idea off of ended up for sale for a good price. 350'000kms on it and she would no longer start. Here's our trucks together 6 years ago. My X up front, his Frontier in the back. And I got it towed to my grandmothers to get it rolling (as a trailer) so I can bring it back to Quebec. From there I'd start working on getting the details and accessories done. I've had never welded welded prior to this, so it was finally my chance to finally buy a welder and learn.

And the original concept

Getting the frame built by a professional trailer builder

But as always, when you get someone to do something for you, it never comes out 100% exactly how you want/need it, so for my first real task, was to modify it to accommodate the fuel tank.

Then would start the rack and lifting system for the tonneau cover and top with the RTT

With locking pins to secure it in the up position

And the tonneau cover which will need to be modified to accommodate the Frontier's roof rack

Working on the crossbars

[img]http://i.imgur.com/pddiS67.jpg/img]

And a clearance check

Fuel tank finally gets installed

And the tonneau covers gets painted

And installed

And the tent installed

And it's first use the summer of 2015 at Mosport for the ALMS/Sportscar Grand Prix

And more fixing of what other people didn't do right.

The coupler was raised.

And the forward leaf spring hanger dropped

And shocks installed

And flex ramp testing

Underneath the tonneau cover got painted to better reflex the LED lights that will get installed inside

And an extender for the roof rack to attach the awning

With the awning's first use the following day

Following with installing some LED strip lights in the awning.

And built a battery try to relocate the battery to it's rightful place, as well as install the 60L water tank.

To follow with making a storage rack up front

And loaded with wood when the paint was barely dry

With the Mosport setup for 2016 just a few weeks ago

Well damn... did you seriously cut the back off a pickup to make a trailer? End result looks awesome though, nice work.

OLC Member

Damn cool. Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by MatS View Post
    Well damn... did you seriously cut the back off a pickup to make a trailer? End result looks awesome though, nice work.
    Lol, essentially, but built a new frame rather then use the original truck frame, but assembled it as if it was, so the axle, suspension, bed, fuel tank and spare tire winch and installed them as original, to a point. I put a 2" body lift on the bed, and took advantage of it and tucked up the fuel tank up higher.

Thanks guys!

OLC Member

Nice trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by xkid View Post
    Nice trailer.
    Thank you, from a familiar face

OLC Member

Since you're clearly not afraid to think outside the box (and it looks great, by the way), have you considered fabbing up some kind of generator to charge the batteries from the unused pinion flange on the trailer axle while you're driving? I've always wondered if an alternator with a belt or chain apparatus would work for something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Since you're clearly not afraid to think outside the box (and it looks great, by the way), have you considered fabbing up some kind of generator to charge the batteries from the unused pinion flange on the trailer axle while you're driving? I've always wondered if an alternator with a belt or chain apparatus would work for something like that.
    Wow, thanks! It's actually been part of the plan since the beginning, if it's possible. I did some tests this year with the Xterra and in 4th (1:1) and the alternator will charge at 14v down to 30km/h. Also the bolt for the flange and the crank bolt look similar in size where if I'm lucky, I'll swap the flange for a crank. Actually over the course of year I've been trying to find a crank pulley for cheap, but with no luck, One guy in the US wanted $50 to ship his, which I found too expensive for it's size. There's an add for one on Kijiji for $100. I've been at the point where I'm spending time enjoying the trailer rather then working on it, currently on day 4 of 12 on a trip out east, and don't plan too much for working on the trailer the year except working on getting the lighting installed that I have on hand, and get my roof rack built and the lightbar installed on the Xterra. I'll work on gathering the crank pulley/harmonic balancer and the alternator over the fall and winter for a spring project since it's too late in the year to get to that. I can't find any precedence on it being done, so I look forward to getting started on that part for the proof of concept.