Thread: Fixing Smittybilt winch free spool problem

Default Fixing Smittybilt winch free spool problem

I'm willing to bet there's a few people on here who are running Smittybilt winches cause, hey, they're cheap.
    Mine worked fine until the temperature dropped and then you couldn't get the thing to free spool. I'd heard rumors that the grease was garbage in them, but I had no idea how bad it was until we opened them up and had a look.

So if anyone is having the same problem, we tossed together a quick video on doing a regrease.

It's really not as daunting of a task as I thought it would be. It just takes a lot of time and patience. So regardless of what brand you're running, if you're having trouble getting it to free spool, this could be the ticket.

Impact gun would make things easier for removal.... naw it was good watching the flailing with wrenches. Good video BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by binrat View Post
    Impact gun would make things easier for removal.... naw it was good watching the flailing with wrenches. Good video BTW.
    Trust me... I mentioned the need for air tools several times... Consider his Christmas list beefed up...