Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 0210's '16 Tacoma

You know that even with a hard cover RTT, the truck will also sway when the dog move in the cab, unless you support the truck with some kind of stand.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky j View Post
    You know that even with a hard cover RTT, the truck will also sway when the dog move in the cab, unless you support the truck with some kind of stand.
    For sure. The swaying was only "half" the inconvenience of sleeping in the bed, so perhaps I can get used to that... In any case, this decision is a couple years away at least.

Looks like sliders and suspension are going on early next week. Expecting bed slide sometime mid-later this week.

OLC Member

Just got a notification that my ICON suspension, which was supposed to ship tomorrow, has a "revised" shipping date... of AUGUST 1st. What a load of bull.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by 0210 View Post
    Just got a notification that my ICON suspension, which was supposed to ship tomorrow, has a "revised" shipping date... of AUGUST 1st. What a load of bull.

best of luck
    ExpeditionNorth.com
    expeditionnorth.boards.net

Hopefully, you will not live with the uncertainty of canada post, if usps was the carrier!

OLC Member

It took about a month for my ICON Stage 4 kit to ship also, they did not have the shock in stock and had to manufacture them.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExpeditionNorth View Post
    best of luck
    Thanks! Patience is not my strong point (especially since I paid for overnight shipping to get this kit in advance of my upcoming week-off roadtrip), but I'll survive!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky j View Post
    Hopefully, you will not live with the uncertainty of canada post, if usps was the carrier!
    FedEx, but IMO all shipping providers are equally bad. I've had bad experiences with every single one I've been subjected to! Luck of the draw...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion View Post
    It took about a month for my ICON Stage 4 kit to ship also, they did not have the shock in stock and had to manufacture them.
    That sounds like the case here, too. I ordered through AutoAnything, which had a 20% off promotion going at the time, and it sounds like a lot of other people took advantage of that deal, too. ICON is out of units until the ~26th of this month.

In happier news, sliders are going on Thursday morning, and the bed slide is being installed Friday afternoon. Can't wait for this week to be over!

My hi-lift jack, jerry can, and some other minor goodies have all arrived in Blaine. Will go pick them up tonight.

OLC Member

So I was reading another thread about fridges, and thanks to the posts there found out that Costco carries portable fridges of lesser-/no-name brands. That, in turn, led me to this 80 L fridge that seems to have all the right options/features, comes with a cover, and is on sale for $150 off. With Costco's generous 90-day return policy, I figure there's no risk to trying it out. My wallet just became lighter still, but $780CAD shipped to my door is a heck of a lot better than the ~$2000USD (+ taxes and duty at the border) for a similar Engel fridge.

I like that it can run off propane - this can give me an easy solution for keeping it powered without installing a dual battery setup in the truck (for the time being). Not entirely sure of the limitations of that setup (the idea of having something run on propane in a moving vehicle kind of sketches me out), but we'll see.

Now the question is... what are the chances of me getting this before my vacation starts on the 23rd?

// edit- whoooops. This one does not run off propane. I mixed up the features with the 61L and the 55L variants.

Hmm... now I'm wondering whether I should cancel this order and get one of the (regular-priced) smaller options. The extra room will definitely be useful as my dog is on raw meat, and that's quite a bit of food if we're talking a week or two away from home. Then again, I may be able to use a smaller cooler with blocks of ice as a dedicated "freezer" for the dog meat, while using a smaller fridge for the daily-access foods.

The 80L version uses the high-quality Danfoss compressor, but the other two don't state what they use. Energy consumption of the larger unit also seems to be quite a bit better (2.7amp@33W vs 13.3amp@150W and 10amp@120W). Another downside of the propane-compatible units is that they're almost the same physical size, while providing considerably less interior room.

Leaning towards keeping my order as-is now.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by 0210; 07-12-2016 at 08:10 PM.

OLC Member

Found the manufacturer's specs - http://uniqueoffgrid.com/wp-content/...ers-Manual.pdf

The 80L fridge uses 38 Ah/24 hrs, so it can run off one of the many $130-180 deep-cycle batteries at Canadian Tire (which tend to be rated in the 60-80 amp-hour range) for roughly two days straight without charge. Not bad at all.

I might pick up two ~60-70amp-hour deep cycle batteries to use for the short term. Simple enough to charge one while driving and letting the other one run the fridge. Or even wiring them in parallel and having them both charge while driving while having both hooked up to the fridge.

Nice looking truck! Very jealous of that canopy, I was looking at one and it was extremely expensive in Cranbrook... It looks great on the 2016's though!

Interested to hear about the fridge when you get it installed and what battery set up you will be using.