Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 0210's '16 Tacoma

OLC Member

Default 0210's '16 Tacoma

Hi folks,

I've got build threads on about a half-dozen forums, so I figure one more can't hurt! :sombrero:

I'm in Vancouver, Canada, and picked up my first truck a couple months back: 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 w/ the "upgrade package", double cab, long bed.

Large part of the reason for getting a truck was/is being able to sleep in the bed while exploring my little corner of the world, and having the room to transport my German Shepherd, myself, and my gear in relative comfort. Previous vehicles (newest to oldest) included: '06 ML350 7A, '07 335i 6MT, '06 C230 6A, '05 330i 6MT.

This is the first day of bringing the truck home:

Less than 24hrs from purchase, I took out the rear seats and started work on a dog-platform. End result is outdoor carpet over 3/4" plywood, hinges to access both under-seat and behind-seat storage:

Then came the mounting (& later hardwiring) of the radar detector and dash camera:

Since I had a left-over aftermarket backup camera from my ML350, I decided to repurpose it as a front camera on the truck. Mounted the camera itself behind the front license plate, disassembled the bulky display, mounted it on a thin piece of MDF, and hardwired it inside my sunglass holder.

Mounted my Maglite on side of seat:

Picked up a Leer 100XR canopy. Sliding windoors, removable front slider, keyless entry, Thule rails, carpet, two interior LED lights. Canopy is nice, but the dealer's install job was atrocious. They re-installed it numerous times, and it still leaked like crazy from every corner. Ended up removing it (with a second pair of hands) and sealing everything myself. As the saying goes, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

Swapped in Philips "Standard" H9 bulbs for low beams (originally H11). Before & after:

No specific photos, but also some minor stuff:
    - got Weathertech hitch "step" + hitch lock
    - got Weathertech floor liners
    - tinted front windows + sunroof @ 50%; rear three at 5% (which stacked with the OEM tint for about 1.75% light pass-through total)
    - replaced interior lights with white LEDs

Visited a local lake:

Replaced tires with BFG KO2 in 265/70/17 (one size up from OEM 265/65/17):

Added a ProClip USA cellphone mount:

Built a storage drawer/sleeping platform. Two side pocket cubbies and a large front cubby are all mounted on euro hinges and open vertically. Drawer is mounted on 1" square, steel tubing running between 100 skateboard bearings. Drawer's frame is secured to the truck's four original D-rings with turnbuckles.

Mounted my camping axe:

Used bug-screen and duct tape to create a slide-over bug screen for the rear door. Will make a second one (for the other side, too). Need to have ventilation for the dog at night.

I've actually sold the drawer a while back and recently ordered a bed slide.

Goodies on the way:

- sliders from Cruisin Off Road
    - ATC bed slide
    - ICON Stage 4 suspension (coilovers w/ remote reservoirs for front, upper control arms, shocks w/ remote reservoirs for rear, add-a-leaf)
    - hi-lift xtreme jack

Long term plans include:
    - some sort of removable material for exterior of all four doors and some body panels to minimize pin stripes (have a decent idea of what I want to do here)
    - sound-deadening interior
    - additional deep-cycle battery mounted in the bed
    - compressor mounted under the hood (currently have a crappy portable one)
    - proper electrical/fuse box for additional electrical toys
    - additional tint on canopy's windoors
    - (maybe) LED bar up front
    - (maybe) fridge
    - (maybe) roof rack over cab
    - (maybe) roof/expedition rack over canopy
    - (maybe) metal rear bumper with swing-out for spare
    - (maybe) hard-shell roof tent + frame for interior of canopy to support the extra weight

I've got a week off in late July and another week off in mid August, so I'll be planning two exploratory trips soon!
    Last edited by 0210; 07-07-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Administrator

That's going to be one heck of a nice rig, congrats. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like with the Icon setup
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca

Awesome platform! Rear locker??? I always thought that all TRD's had them but I was informed that this is incorrect.

Love the GSD too! You are on your way to some great adventures! Let us know if you're ever heading north through Prince George, the wife and I volunteer as ambassadors for the local "Tourism Prince George" promoters.

OLC Member

Thanks! Will definitely post photos once I've got the lift and sliders on.

@JeepGSD - I believe only the TRD Off-Road (OR) has a locker (at lest in the third, 2016+, generation) and even then, it's electronic, and only available in 4LO.

I doubt I'll ever do anything that actually requires a locker, but if that starts happening, I'll consider an air locker down the line.

Will keep you in mind if I ever come up to Prince George!

OLC Member

Looking good. Great start.

OLC Member

nice looking rig, cant wait to see where this build goes
    ExpeditionNorth.com
    expeditionnorth.boards.net

Nice, I love seeing people starting to outfit 3rd gens..
    That bed/shelf system was so clean!

Look forward to your progress.

OLC Member

I liked that drawer, it worked pretty well. But after spending one weekend sleeping on it, I realized it wasn't going to work for my needs. My ~80lb dog was in the cab at night, and whenever she moved around the entire truck would sway from side to side and wake me up. Plus, it felt a bit cramped and I just wasn't as comfortable as I'm used to being (in a tent). A quality hard-case roof-tent may be an option down the line, but that wouldn't work where I currently live as it won't clear the condo's garage gates. I'm hoping to move to the interior (from Vancouver subrubs) around next summer, and if/when I end up in a house with a proper garage, that's when I'll consider a roof-top tent.

In the meantime I had actually built a custom bed slide, but immediately after installing it I again realized it wasn't going to work for me. I had attached it to the truck's bed via the same four D-rings & turnbuckles I had used for the drawer platform, but because the slide's wooden frame was so light, it would buckle up any time the slide was extended, and I didn't want to start drilling the bed for an experimental project. I cut the thing up for firewood the day after I installed it in the truck. Oh well.

The ATC bed slide will have a much sturdier steel frame, and it will be properly secured (including drilling the bed) for a 1200lb load capacity, so I think it'll work well for my needs (storing large plastic bins and easily accessing them). Will also consider putting a dog crate on it and keeping the pooch in the bed - maybe. I've got some aluminum cargo rails (along which you can move the tie-down anchors), so as soon as I've got the bed slide installed (next week), I'll be thinking about a way to mount those rails to give me infinite tie-down locations.
    Last edited by 0210; 07-08-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Good lookin truck, and GSD

Mine can barely control herself when I load up and head out for a weekend.

OLC Member

Hah, I know that look!

People - my favourite thing!
    Rubber ball - my favourite thing!
    Squirrel - my favourite thing!
    Stick - my favourite thing!