Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When a long weekend comes to a grinding halt...

Hybrid View

OLC Member

Default When a long weekend comes to a grinding halt...

...More on that later though.

We've been planning a Gold Bridge - Churn Creek trip for a bit now, having scouted out a couple of the highlights on May Long weekend. July long weekend was the time to make it happen.

4 nights, 4 trucks, and a couple extra friends from out of town (Ontario, gasp)... weather, vehicle prep, timing; everything looked like a perfect setup for a great weekend. And even with setbacks, that is exactly what we had.

I'll start our journey in Gold Bridge at the self-serve gas station.

We spent a short night on an offshoot on the Hurley, waking up to an absolute HORDE of mosquitoes. Northern Ontario bad. (Confession, I am also from Ontario too)

Heading north, Mud Lakes was high as expected - we had heard that it was sketchy and off camber, but mainly found it to be straightforward and pretty reasonable. That being said we are all on 35"+ tires/lockers etc - probably not accessible for a lot of vehicles.

Easily one of my favourite roads I've driven this year. Gorgeous country.

Past the lakes (following my e-exploring homie Justin's tips) we ascended Poison

As you can tell from the pictures - Poison was a big hit. Fantastic views, unbelievable scenery.

After a couple more peaks, and a great bit of Geocaching - we started putting down mileage heading east. The Big Bar Ferry was our destination, and we decided to spend a leisurely evening on the trail before we made the last push for it.

We called this spot Bear Alley - for obviously reasons.

50KM east of the Big Bar Ferry, dead center of China Head - my truck decided to grenade the transfer case. Absolutely zero self propulsion in either direction.

We have 150km back to pavement, and well over 4,000m of ascension/descent to accomplish - with a truck that won't move. Saturday was looking bleak.

To be continued...

Glad my tips helped, too bad they didn't help your tcase though! Ouch man

OH man that sucks hope things got better for ya in the end...

OLC Member

Sorry to hear about the tcase! At least you had help out there.

You mentioned you guys were all on 35's - is that a requirement for this trail? I've got a week off coming up at the end of the month and will be exploring up there - would love to do this trail or something similar. '16 Tacoma 4x4 Sport, double cab, long bed. 31's, will have sliders and about 2" lift (Icon Stage 4) by the time my week-off rolls around. Doable?

Quote Originally Posted by 0210 View Post

You mentioned you guys were all on 35's - is that a requirement for this trail? I've got a week off coming up at the end of the month and will be exploring up there - would love to do this trail or something similar. '16 Tacoma 4x4 Sport, double cab, long bed. 31's, will have sliders and about 2" lift (Icon Stage 4) by the time my week-off rolls around. Doable?
    I did it when I had 30's on my jeep open and open no issues. You should be fine for the most part. I'd go with another truck though.

OLC Member

Now, getting back to where I left off.

I've been a car guy a long time. Some of my best friends have come from sharing an automotive enthusiasm, and I have always found that people bound together by a shared passion often have a bond stronger than the average social association. I think that a lot of that stems from a direct relation to problems and difficulties surrounding that chosen pastime. A car guy can sympathise with a blown turbo, or a weeping seal - issues that affect us all draw the most direct understanding.

Now when you cross those already strong ties into the offroad/overland community, you subtract the outside help/assistance you can count on in normal automotive emergencies. You are alone, remote, and totally dependant on the people you've chosen to surround yourself with.

When my transfer case grenaded, on one of the most remote loops we have done this year - there was no hesitation. The group assessed, estimated, consolidated, and handled the situation. Everyone realised what needed to be done, and banded together to make it happen. Towing out a dead truck over a rough trail for 150KM, and cutting a night off the trip was not an easy thing to be requested - but that is the character of individuals that I am blessed to call my friends.

To be fair... I didn't get many pictures of the next section of trail. Braking and trying to keep myself from rear ending Rob on the downhills kept me fully occupied. More or less it went without a hitch, once we found our rhythm.

Decending into the big bar ferry was definitely a highlight - Dave hitched his land cruiser to my rear bumper, and quite literally lowered me down 1000m+ from the end of West Pavillion to the ferry. I remember thinking last trip that this was not a good place to lose brakes. Funny how that would end up being relevant. Without gearing my brakes overheated quickly; I was at Dave's mercy and he didn't falter once.

Once across the ferry (pro tip - do NOT take pictures if you have the biker-looking operator. He was not a fan of photography during crossing, and was very clear in letting us know) we decided to head to a campsite we had scouted out last trip. Towing me directly into camp that night, we set up a smoke screen to ward off mosquitoes and make the best of our trip-altering situation. Originally we had in mind blasting up towards Williams Lake for the night, but given our present condition we decided to stay local.

Sunday found us making a last push out to "civilisation" in the form of Clinton, where I arranged a flatdeck to haul my rig back to North Vancouver.

All in all - it was absolutely the best case worse case scenario.

Always surround yourself with people that will make a terminal breakdown into a trip worth remembering.

Bonus carnage picture:

Also - should anyone on this forum in BC need an AMAZING tow truck service - Abdul # 6047657005. Extremely fair pricing and really professional drivers. Best flat deck guys I've dealt with. No affiliation, just really happy with my experience.

OLC Member

double post
    Last edited by No heros; 07-07-2016 at 05:27 PM.

OLC Member

triple
    Last edited by No heros; 07-07-2016 at 05:27 PM.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by 0210 View Post

You should be fine. Probably will be a lot more exciting!