Thread: 98 grand cherokee issues to look out for ?

OLC Member

Default 98 grand cherokee issues to look out for ?

hello,
    tomorrow I'm going to look at an 98 grand cherokee & was wondering what issues to look out for ?
    he claims it has lockers blah blah blah
    I know these unibody frames are susceptible to rot
    rig is supposedly clean in & out
    heres the beast on 33's & 8" of lift

any help is greatly appreciated & thanks
    ExpeditionNorth.com
    expeditionnorth.boards.net

OLC Member

First off that's not a grand Cherokee. Just a Cherokee. Xj. Should have high pinion Dana 30 up front which is decent enough. 8" of lift seems excessive. If it's on short arm suspension up front it'll prob have driveablity issues. at that lift height it'll need to be long armed or drop brackets on the front arms. Xj's tend to crack and rot a little faster than the grands but can stand up well enough. All this is my personal opinion. Others may differ

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    First off that's not a grand Cherokee. Just a Cherokee. Xj. Should have high pinion Dana 30 up front which is decent enough. 8" of lift seems excessive. If it's on short arm suspension up front it'll prob have driveablity issues. at that lift height it'll need to be long armed or drop brackets on the front arms. Xj's tend to crack and rot a little faster than the grands but can stand up well enough. All this is my personal opinion. Others may differ
    I would say you are imo just about right. Of course it is a cherokee and not a grand C. As for 8" of lift, what he just said oi true. And I would frive it and find a rough portion of black top to try it for death wooble. If he as 8" lift on 33", maybe he had bigger tires in the short past. Probably a lot of trail, would definitely look at cracks in the unitbody box (frame) for separation from the body at the seams, etc.

many of them simply broke in too (the unit body/frame) and once this happen, that is it. And to prevent that, is a full iner cage. That is a lot of fabrication and money.

What kind of ratio in the diff?

so yep, maybe but be carefull. It could be a not so nice adventure in that form. Beside that, XJ cherokee are very good rig if you can find one in good shape.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky j View Post
    I would say you are imo just about right. Of course it is a cherokee and not a grand C. As for 8" of lift, what he just said oi true. And I would frive it and find a rough portion of black top to try it for death wooble. If he as 8" lift on 33", maybe he had bigger tires in the short past. Probably a lot of trail, would definitely look at cracks in the unitbody box (frame) for separation from the body at the seams, etc.

many of them simply broke in too (the unit body/frame) and once this happen, that is it. And to prevent that, is a full iner cage. That is a lot of fabrication and money.

What kind of ratio in the diff?

so yep, maybe but be carefull. It could be a not so nice adventure in that form. Beside that, XJ cherokee are very good rig if you can find one in good shape.

Thanks guys

I'm not a jeep guy so its all a learning process

it was in really bad shape, not sure when he took the pic
    I couldnt get it to move forward without a loud popping noise & it felt like the front end was locked up

so back to shopping
    ExpeditionNorth.com
    expeditionnorth.boards.net

I'd say run, run far and fast...in a different direction. 8" lift? ludicrous. Try to buy close to stock, make your own changes. Unless you know absolutely that
    the work previous is done well, properly and won't kill you when it fails.