Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canadian RTTs

OLC Member

Default Canadian RTTs

As RTT's are gaining popularity, and I feel there is a huge want for Canadians to support Canadian products, it't interesting that there aren't a few more RTT companies in Canada really. I know manufacturing in China is cheaper, help with the design an everything here, but get them to build them there is the thing to do, does anyone have any idea how much it would be for a Canadian manufacturer to put these together? Does anyone know the process that these RTT companies need to go through to work with the manufacturer in China or know of any companies in Canada..(Alberta specifically) that would deal with that sort of stuff. A few other questions to consider...

1. Is it worth it at the end of the day to spend a little more and get a Canadian product?

2. What is a Canadian product exactly? ie. made 100% in Canada? Or just developed and designed?

3. What features are not offered yet on RTTs that people would like to see?

4. How many people out there would be interested in seeing a single person RTT on the market? (get the weight down to 70lbs or so)

I know there are a lot of RTT discussions going on, but I hope this will get some wheels turning in the right direction. cheers!

Their used to be one company that was making them for sure, but I think they are out of business. Night-up. But the plan for them was to compete with autohome and James ba... In the province of Quebec, the maket is to small for something like that.

Only a few would be willing to paid that kind of money when for just a little more, they can get a pop-up trailer or pay even more to get a camping trailer.

some how, the province is full of great territory, but only a few are willing to go deep enough to explore and roam. The others always have a camp at destination.

and in my mine, a canadian product is a canadian built. Could be assemble from parts from an other country, some of them anyway.

and base on my previous life as production tech, I really beleive that the labor intensive part are the soft material. And shipping. If you go hard shell, the molds and fiberglass will also be an expsensive part of it, but this could be sub contract in batch.

Weight by it self could, I beleive be reduce by higher end light weight foam matress of even a custom made camping ground inflatable matress, light weight sandwich styrofoam or nidacore type of floor. But I do not beleive that I one persone tent would by really worth it. Half the dimension for probably only 25% cheaper and lighter weight, do not think it is worth it. Does guys who look for smaller and lighter usually go with a bivy bag.

my toughs.

When I was doing my research for a RTT, I came across Treeline Outdoors, which is a Canadian company. Really like the look and specs of their tents, but they're pricey and never seem to be available. From what I understand, they're manufactured overseas too. Just designed here. Check them out though if you're looking for a Canadian connection. They definitely have some cool features. Especially if you're a Goal Zero fan. https://treelineoutdoors.ca/collections/roof-top-tents

Bottom line though, even most of the American RTT companies are having their product manufactured in China. They could be coming out of the same factory for all you know. They just have slightly different specifications. Raw materials alone here would price the tents out of sight. Not to mention labour costs. Can't see someone spending $5k on a tent. I had to really talk myself into spending over $2500.

OLC Member

Thanks Lucky, I agree, the sewing and stitching etc would be the most labour intensive. I guess thats the way it is now but thats not so bad. As far as the single person one goes, that is sort of what I have been thinking, if you are going to really cut down then may as well just REALLY cut down haha but good thoughts anyway.

Nooblander, yes Treeline looks great, they are close to us in Calgary also, great branding and appears to be very good quality, and atleast a Canadian feel to them. From the research I have done it does seem that all the companies use the same sort of deal with the Chinese manufacturers, even ARB, Smittybilt, etc. The real reason that brought all this up I guess was that Treeline's tents are always out of stock and wondering if it would be beneficial for another company in Alberta to move in! If I was going to buy one though, it would probably be a Treeline tent, next year though, just spent a bit of money for this summers up comming travels. cheers

OLC Member

Even the one linked from Treelineoutdoors looks to be made in china. its the same as the one i have ordered. mayve they changed some of the thing over the course like Tepui, but bottom line it all come from the same manufacturer because we cant compete wit hthe price form china!

OLC Member

Yeeeaaah! that is what I have come to realize haha, not all that bad though still good Canadian companies, I am moving soon into a bigger place, maybe I will invest in a decent sewing machine and bring some more tents to the table! A lot of those ones on alibaba if you order a bunch then it is a pretty good deal it seems. Has anyone heard of anybody doing that? I guess you would need 10 friends or whatever to jump onboard.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrisong41 View Post
    Yeeeaaah! that is what I have come to realize haha, not all that bad though still good Canadian companies, I am moving soon into a bigger place, maybe I will invest in a decent sewing machine and bring some more tents to the table! A lot of those ones on alibaba if you order a bunch then it is a pretty good deal it seems. Has anyone heard of anybody doing that? I guess you would need 10 friends or whatever to jump onboard.
    I did this spring, it comes alot cheaper, but its still some money to invest in, we have a bad currency exchange and high import/transportation charge. i still have 2 for sell. we modified their work to have a better fabric. thats the good thign about alibaba. you can ask them whatever you want!

OLC Member

ahh, so did you order some from alibaba? how many? and do you mean you received their product and modified it yourself, or asked them to custom make it?

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by harrisong41 View Post
    ahh, so did you order some from alibaba? how many? and do you mean you received their product and modified it yourself, or asked them to custom make it?
    we ordered 5 from them, we asked them to change the fabric directly in their shop.

OLC Member

Oh ok interesting, was it a good deal to order 5? was it worth it? and how accommodating were they in meeting your specifications?