Thread: Windows 10 and USB GPS

Default Windows 10 and USB GPS

Windows 10 Laptop and USB GPS Dongle. I had the chance recently to setup my laptop with a USB GPS and find it works great once I had all the proper updated drivers installed, Nice to have the large screen of a laptop to search for routes for planing trips, I have been using google maps in the past with my tablet and was impressed as to how well and easy it was to make trip routes and to follow them once on the trail..
    I will be testing out the maps program that comes with Windows 10 from what I see it is pretty much the same thing and am wondering if they will add more options to the menus in time... both Google Maps and Windows 10 Maps allow you to download offline maps and in satellite quality not the Micky Mouse line drawings that most other map systems use for their offline maps.. And for me it really made a big difference for the experience of off road travel.

OLC Member

cool !

what kind of mount or how do you have it mounted
    ExpeditionNorth.com
    expeditionnorth.boards.net

I don't have a mount yet for the laptop as I just set it up recently still looking into what would work for me a buddy has a nice setup he got off ebay for about a 150 bucks that I think I may go for though. the tablet is held up with a string that I slip the folded case that holds the tablet in and it works great and oh so cheap worked great on the last outing...
    Liked your photos guess your still working on the web sit..

Nomadexpedition.tk

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by nomad expedition View Post
    I don't have a mount yet for the laptop as I just set it up recently still looking into what would work for me a buddy has a nice setup he got off ebay for about a 150 bucks that I think I may go for though. the tablet is held up with a string that I slip the folded case that holds the tablet in and it works great and oh so cheap worked great on the last outing...
    Liked your photos guess your still working on the web sit..

Nomadexpedition.tk

sounds good
    Yes since I wasnt very active overlanding I kept the name & let the site fall off, since I make no $$ off of it
    if its allowed I have a forum expeditionnorth.boards.net for overland activities in VT
    mods delete if its not allowed as its not my intention to spam by any means
    Last edited by ExpeditionNorth; 06-17-2016 at 08:04 PM.
    ExpeditionNorth.com
    expeditionnorth.boards.net

hard to make money on a forum or website until you have a thousand users or more.. lol if they kick us off their are plenty of other forums in fact that is how I got most of my users on one of my old sites.... wow thats a wide range of interests on your forum all good...

Well I am trying to setup my next adventure for some time in july so I can test the laptop and software out so far I have 2 days out of 7 days planned...