Thread: Jay-Roc's 2 Wheeled Rides:

Default Jay-Roc's 2 Wheeled Rides:

Been a long time coming, I was stoked for this 2-wheeled machine section, then didn't ride for a couple years and didn't get around to posting anything up. But, this year I have been getting back into riding the machines I have, and have been loving every minute of it again.

So, I will start at the beginning of my current rides, a 2010 KTM 690SMC and a 2005 Yamaha YZ250F.

While owning a XR650R around the time that ICBC changed the regulations regarding licensing RUM bikes, I decided I needed a street legal bike that would be fun to rip around on in all kinds of conditions. I had been riding sportbikes for a number of years prior to my XR, and decided on the supermoto instead of a true dualsport as I still enjoyed tearing up the twisties.
    I ordered the KTM in October 2009, and after a long wait, on March 7th, 2010 I picked her up in Kelowna and brought her home.

I had never had anything this new before...

A few parts were ordered and at the end of the season I took her back up to Kelowna for a service, and map upgrade after installation of the parts that had arrived. She got a new skid-plate, axle sliders, airbox, and a Wings slip-on muffler, and has remained otherwise un-farkled since then.
    That year I rode predominantly on road and wore through the original set of slicks by the fall, installed a set of Diablo Corsas late that summer and then in early 2011 I installed a set of Pirelli RS 60 Corsas as the slicks had proven to be less than ideal for off highway use (which was starting to become a more frequent occurance).

2011 was a pretty good year for this bike, I did a few longer trips, met my mom for a ride through the Merritt area for mothers day, did a few trips up around Squamish, and tore up the Duffey Lake highway a few times with some other supermotos.

Here a buddy and I are on one of the river bars up the Squamish valley after trying to find the Elaho giant (no map book that day, never did find it).

Way up the Elaho Main, great day of riding, but one where i realized even the more off-road oriented tires I had on were still not really cutting it.

And then a stop to cool down on the way back towards Squamish.

2012 Started with the addition of the big blue truck and more trips with it vs. the bike (as I usually had company that didn't ride).
    But the KTM got a new Kenda Big Block rear tire and a few good runs to break it in up around Squamish.

Started to get a bit more off the beaten path...

And came up here a few times after work just to decompress! (Really too bad it has been removed).

(Edit, I don't know why it defaults to sideways, nor how to rotate it?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the fall of 2012, after trying to sell it for a few years, I ended up trading my 87 Nissan 300ZX for a YZ250F.

Took it camping once or twice and realized it was a whole lot easier to ride off road than the 690, but didn't have much opportunity as the following two seasons where spent doing this every nice weekend...

Fast forward to 2016, after not touching either bike in 2015, and only one ride in 2014, with my buddy from Kamloops up at Boss Lake, I was getting the itch to get back out on them. I made the effort to get out early in the year and have started hitting local single track areas on the YZ. Vedder is a favorite of my riding buddies, but Squamish is closer for me and I was able to make it up there a couple Sundays after getting home early from sailing.

After bashing through the woods a few times it was apparent that some modifications to the motocross nature of the bike were in order, so it got a skid plate, hand guards, rad braces, a throttle tamer and a Rekluse auto clutch (cheating i know, but man what a difference!).

A few more rides though Lava Flow area, and Vedder and I'm starting to get back into the hang of things.
    Took it up the Squamish valley on the back of the truck in April with the intention of heading out for a ride, but weather wasn't great and we just explored as far as we could with the truck. Camped up near the Hut Lake road, and am hoping to take the bike back up there with some other riders and get up to the lake. Headed towards the Elaho Giant again, but wasn't able to make it due to washouts and dead-fall across the road. At this washout we decided to turn around after talking to a couple of dualsport riders on their way back from an apparently exhausting few kilometers of hauling bikes over trees and through washouts.

Doesn't look bad in the pic, but there was some off camber deadfall just before this and a bunch of loose boulders that made this a tricky spot to get to, and then back out of in reverse.

This past weekend (May long) we took a trip to Grand Forks to surprise my dad for his 65th birthday. I took the KTM along for the ride with a new TKC 80 on the front rim (now that there are real tires available for 17 inch rims, the possibilities are getting better as far as where I can take this thing comfortably), and went out for a ride on the ATV clubs trails on Sunday.

The ride started out pretty easy, just gravel roads and some deactivated areas, but a trip up to the Mount Morrisey fire lookout proved a bit challenging with slick mud and loose rock along with a bunch of rock ledges. It was pretty grey and rainy up there, so the view wasn't that great, but still worth the ride.

The KTM is geared for street riding, and although light for it's size, still weighs in at 300 plus pounds, which made it a bit of a workout after getting used to the 100 pound lighter YZ the last few months.

I tried to complete a circle route but there were some monster trees down that i wasn't going to be getting under or over without a substantial amount of chainsaw work, so I headed back the way I came in, found another trail with another long, steep, rocky climb to finish my day off with.

This was at the top (no GoPro so no shots of the rough areas) and the rest of the ride was pretty smooth back to the house.

On Monday on our way back to town, we thought we'd try to take a route from Keremeos through to highway 3 west of Princeton through Cathedral Park and Placer Mountain roads.
    We made it to the Placer Mountain turn off and not far after the fun started, this was about a kilometer in, and should have been enough of a warning to turn us around, but we went on...

We made it about 5 km up the road, after cutting a half dozen trees out of the way, running out of time (based on our pace) and knowing there was another 20 plus km of this, we turned around. The views and colours were worth the detour off the highway regardless, and it is an area that is definetely worth going back to explore more of.

Some awessome red rock shale road sections as well.
    Last edited by Jay-Roc; 05-28-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Nice ! I'm not a rider but from what I've seen on ADV it seems to be the way to go (if you can travel light).

but a sailboat would be fine also

... but Squamish is closer for me and I was able to make it up there a couple Sundays after getting home early from sailing.
    yeah, tough grind, eh ?