Thread: DIY Limb Riser Build

OLC Member

Default DIY Limb Riser Build

Merry Long Weekend Friday folks,

I have long thought about adding some limb risers to save my rather pricey windshield and some electronics that have a tendency to get tangled up in the tight, half grown in trails that I find myself venturing down. I looked at pre-made kits from various companies and decided that they are all rather simple but do not accommodate my particular type of roof rack (****tybilt XRC)
    So, I am in the process of building my own system at a fraction of the cost ($35CDN)

Required items:

- appropriate length of 1/8"th inch metal cable (I opted for stainless aircraft cable and required 2x 5'ft lengths)
    - (2x) 1/8"th cable saddles
    - (8x) 1/8"th saddle clamps
    - (2x) 5" turn buckles (also opted for stainless)
    - (2x) small 1.5"ish d-links/shackles
    - (2x) locking/threaded chain links
    - (2x) 1.5"x 5" pieces of 1/8"th mild steel bar stock

Build:
    1. I used the steel bar stock to make 2 brackets that mount behind the hood latches on my Jeep TJ and stick up at a slight angle, in order to keep the cable above the hood and away from my paint.

2. Then drilled a 1/4" hole in my roof rack bar and ran the cable through it, installed the saddle and clamps (2x each side).

3. Hood up the small shackles to the hood mounted brackets, attach the locking chain link to the shackles and a turn buckle (each side).

4. loop cable through the eyelet of each turn buckle and clamp with saddle and clamps (2x each side). Tighten until no slack remains.

Pics coming as soon as I can get my image host to work again.
    Last edited by condorman; 05-20-2016 at 11:41 PM.

I just whipped up a quick temporary (which means it will probably stay on my truck for years to come) pair of LRs for my Cruiser at work today for $12 so I had something for this weekend of exploring.

I too will post some pics if it works out well.

OLC Member

Nearly completed, lost 4 of the saddle clamps while I was getting everything in order to install them. Each of the cable ends will have 2 clamps when i am finished. Took me all of 30 minutes to install and tighten everything up. no vibrations, wind noise or adverse effects so far, they will be tested rigorously this weekend though.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Looks great! Consider adding springs, they help a lot keeping them tight while Plowing through thick brush.

OLC Member

nice work
    simple enough those will last forever
    ExpeditionNorth.com
    expeditionnorth.boards.net

Jst for a cleaber look but still cheap, you could use cable crimp found in any hardware stopr instead of shackles and heat shrink tubing instead if electrical tape.

OLC Member

haha yeah, I have since cleaned it up a bit. I was in a bit of a rush to get it together before the start of the long weekend. I do like the little shackles for such small cable, they have quite a bit more "grab" so the cable won't slip if I accidentally rake a good sized branch up and over with a little speed.

I have also considered attempting to anodize/dye some aluminum cable to add some "stealth" factor to this as well, just have limited free time through the summer.. Bust my hump in the summer so that I can explore and sled all winter

The cable crimp for that size cable (I think it is the same size) will stop my 85 lbs malamuth dead in its track at full swing after a 30 ft run and they would have been a little cheaper too. But if it works for you.

I always look at limb riser, cause they are in my jeep future.

thank for sharing!

OLC Member

Looks good. I would like to see more of the roof rack.