Thread: Battery Welding how to Questions

Default Battery Welding how to Questions

I have tried battery welding in the past but have had no luck maybe I was using the wrong type of welding rod or do you use wire and do you do it with 12 volt or use 2 batteries and use 24 volt just want to give this a go again got a couple things I would love to weld up myself... last time I tried was with a single 12 volt battery and jumper cables have to say it did not work for me at all... so whats a workable setup?

As a side note I do remember reading something in popular mechanics many years ago about making your own welding rod holder but it was to work with a 6 volt battery no idea how that works though..

Jeep club that i belong to owns this.
    24 volt mig welder. For trail repairs. Runs of two car batteries. Adjust line speed only. Can weld 3/8 metal no problem. Second photo we welded up a broken control arm at wall mart parking lot in penticton last summer and a 10 day wheelin trail, fsr trip.

That looks like a pretty slick setup! I will have to see if I can find one and what their worth.
    Thanks!

Default Battery Welding how to Questions

Ready welder. They have a web site. Think they paid $650 with all the duty and shipping costs.
    One of the club members broke a rear control arm on a bad obstacle. It took out the rest of the rear suspension and twisted most of the mounts. Went for parts. Next day 4 control arms with new jonny joints and dom tubing and couple new mounts all welded up on the trail. Batteries put back in the jeeps. Both started up with out boosting.
    Last edited by morerpmfred; 05-03-2016 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Spilling mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad expedition View Post
    I have tried battery welding in the past but have had no luck maybe I was using the wrong type of welding rod or do you use wire and do you do it with 12 volt or use 2 batteries and use 24 volt just want to give this a go again got a couple things I would love to weld up myself... last time I tried was with a single 12 volt battery and jumper cables have to say it did not work for me at all... so whats a workable setup?

As a side note I do remember reading something in popular mechanics many years ago about making your own welding rod holder but it was to work with a 6 volt battery no idea how that works though..
    I made my own battery welder for less than $150. All you really need are to 2 12v. batteries in series to make 24v. Then use put the rod holder (stinger) on one terminal and the clamp on the other. Some 6011 or 6013 rods are great for beginners and battery welders like this. I have a this all in a nice plastic box with 1/2 lens and gloves. This is really for Holy $%^& emergencies on the trail, but it's really good to have when you run out of bailing wire!

I've looked at those welders, but damn they're expensive. I actually talked to my dad for him as an Xmas gift idea to make a DYI kit with a stinger and some rods. He's a retired Millwright so I know he'll know what I'm talking about.

I've watched a friend without a welder attempt to do the battery welding for a sub-frame drop on a friend's Pathfinder, but at 24v he had a hard time. We grabbed a battery from my truck and at 36v it worked great...as far as I know, I had no experience welding at the time. With that, it was part of my trailer design to have 3 batteries, amongst other things, was to be able to weld in case of a break, but also, since as far as it's told, the batteries don't like the quick and high amp discharges of welding. Having more batteries probably helps spread the load, but there's always a chance that I've read that the battery may explode. I'd rather explode my trailers batteries then the trucks, but that also seems like a worse case scenario that I would say quite rare, but seems otherwise when reading on it on the net it seems to be a serious and probable issue.

3/32-1/8 7018 rod would work really good for trail side repairs. Welds great all position at 90 amps.

Stumbled across this DIY On board welder set up LINK .

You will never be able the do any real welding with a little on board set up, but it might get you back to the main road.

Yea, I agree with Uriedog. These welders are for emergency welding to get you back to civilization for real welding. I've had luck with 2 deep cycle marine batteries. These are my 120v. batteries for the back of the rig. I don't think you should use your main battery for welding, however driving around with 3 batteries in your trailer for a "what if back up" seems heavy and unnecessary. (unless you use them for other things too.) The batteries can only pop if you run the welder non stop and overheat / boil the batteries. Smaller dia. rods use less power, and put less strain on your batteries too. food for thought.

http://www.outhereadventure.com/