Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time For A New Battery

OLC Member

I have also heard great things about the Costco batteries (I'm guessing they are rebranded interstates, as thats what I have seen from the Costco 's in Alaska)
    The Eliminator Ultra i purchased is a sealed AGm type battery, no free flowing acid as its kept in matts between tightly packed plates. venting isn't an issue and the terminals should stay corrosion free longer, due to constant current instead of the typical fluctuations with conventional batteries.

See what happens with time and some abuse though..

I am curious as to what size your jeep uses? I recently went with a pair of AC Delco in my Land Cruiser, series 27 batteries. I have 2 winches and just wanted
    the best starting and CCA for winch as well. I found the local Canadian Tire was frustrating to deal with, but warranty is important and where you live is where
    you will warranty it usually. I didn't go with the AGM as well, old fashioned charging system. I think the more modern electronic systems charge the AGM better.
    My thoughts anyhow... J

OLC Member

For what it is worth I have a couple of the Motomaster Eliminator Ultra AGMs, one I have had for maybe a year and a half, and the other I bought earlier this year for my trailer. Also my dad had put one in his TJ which he then sold to my brother, I think this one is probably 3 or more years old. I have no complaints with either of mine and the one in my brother TJ is still working fine.

Interestingly the newest one has a different look than the old one and when I asked if the manufacturer had changed they said that the previous manufacturer, Exide (mentioned earlier in the post), had gone out of business but the new ones were much better. I bet they have to say that, but either way I want to choose to believe it as well. I can't recall who they said manufacturers it now.

I believe that there are probably marginally better batteries out there, but don't feel the difference in cost would justify one.

OLC Member

The TJ uses a series 34 battery size, the battery I ended up picking has a 750CCA rating vs the Yellow Top's 770CCA. However, Eliminator Ultra has a claimed 120minute reserve power to the Yellow Tops 90minute reserve power. There were other options available online and through my local HD truck shop, but my Jeep goes through a starter every year (April seems to be the month every year so far) and I figured more power to the starter might cause additional wear other than just getting bashed and banged off rocks and having to start my frozen solid truck during our long winters.
    I cannot really speak to the best battery for winching myself as I have limited knowledge in automotive electronics and have been primarily focused on reviews on reliablility in the field.
    I also agree with the warranty aspect, it should be a large factor in the decision.. I was limited myself as we only have the choice between CDN tire, local HD truck shop and NAPA (limited stock on most things)

Sounds like an echo. My starter is a bit of a problematic thing as well. I have a 12HT diesel from Toyota and replacing with new is a $400 touch, so I keep spare contacts always.
    Making sure you get highest power you can to starter is important. We installed a relay off the solenoid to ensure 100% power from battery going to starter and it sure helps.
    Not too keen on Optima, but had a red top in my mustang and our Toyota pick up which we just sold and it did okay. I had really good luck with NAPA batteries just prior to buying
    the AC Delco. A shop actually ruined them by letting them get run down during some engine work. I would have gotten them again, but my source steered to the AC's.
    I didn't know that Exide was no longer, interesting. I'll have to look, I have a link somewhere with all the companies and who builds what. I think there are only 3-4 companies
    that actually make the batteries, everything is a re-badge after that.

Replave after 5 years, does thta mean I should change my 10 year old batterie in my jeep???

currently run a yellow top, but if i replace, seriously thinking about a deep cycle with a lot of cranking amp that the new costco deep cycle now have in stock. If memory is good, i think they are like 125,00$

IF I had a battery last 10 yrs I'd replace it with the exact same thing. Too much info and opinion on the internet sometimes, that clouds things.

OLC Member

To my knowledge, it sounds like there is only slight advantages between the moto/diehard/optima/AC and Interstate batteries. It would appear that they are all between 720 and 800 CCA and all have some sort of additional capacity (if using a deep cycle type) Most of the choice appears to be based on brand preference and price. There is definitely a lot of subjective opinion floating around the internet for reviews. For me, worst case is I run a dual battery setup again and pick up a Costco deep cycle the next time I'm in Alaska.

Having had my battery die on me in the remote bush, I will now be replacing my battery long before it depletes to the level my previous battery had dropped to. I really think they should be replaced (at minimum inspected or tested) every 3-4 years, especially for those of us who venture beyond communication range or travel alone.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserpilot View Post
    IF I had a battery last 10 yrs I'd replace it with the exact same thing.
    word. Though can't say I've had much trouble with batteries really. Current DD went ~10 years on the Ford oem, changed it preemptively, could/should have gone longer. Replaced it with the red, starting type Kirkland. Now 8 years young. Warranty is 0-36 month free replacement, 46-55 month 50%. That's pretty decent imo. Really like agms in a 4x4 because of the shaking and ought to have changed the 2 in our truck when new but hated the cost - although fully expect replacing the numerous, now corroded attached cables will cost more... (rattle can paint would have prevented ... sigh ... the cost of laziness).

Did too much research for the camper house batteries and bought some super expensive premium agm deep cycle. Later bought additional but simple, non sealed Kirkland blue ones - iirc Lucky snowman is right: around $125. Can't say I notice the difference between them.

Don't know why Optimas took on such a "must have, cat's meow" rep back in the day. I think it's mostly a numbers decision but I am a temperate city dweller and haven't experienced anything like case cracking. Had I, I would try some padding under and perhaps around the battery if possible. If I was preventatively replacing every 3 years I would certainly go cheaper rather than premium.

on edit: I do like the idea of a second battery if winching, as a reserve for starting in case something goes terribly wrong electrically. No firm reasoning just layman's worry.
    Last edited by klahanie; 05-05-2016 at 01:37 PM.

I spent 3 weeks in Yukon Sept into Oct last fall. I ended up winching a poor soul with a jackknifed trailer on the N Canol on a very steep hill. Being solo, and spending a week there
    alone wandering back and forth I have 2 batteries and 2 winches and 2 alternators. Kind of over kill? I don't think so. I didn't give it another thought as I drove away from that bit
    of recovery. I have conventional lead acid series 27 batteries in my truck. I did a lot of soul searching and researching on which battery and type to eventually buy. Basic, quick recovery
    starting battery was my ultimate decision. I see no reason since to second guess myself on that decision. Klahanie - I think the Optima got popular with the Jeep/hard core rock crawl
    people in the US and a stupendous marketing campaign. I don't believe they ever got better or worse over time, again internet blah-blab I suspect.