Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time For A New Battery

OLC Member

Default Time For A New Battery

Hey all,

After my Jeep wouldn't start 40kms from the nearest road access this weekend, I am looking into a deep cycle type HD battery for my Jeep TJ. I have narrowed down the culprit to the battery after some trial and error, the rig wouldn't start with just the key turn (starter and fuel pump are functioning) and will run fine with a boost from another vehicle (but will not start on its own after that)

I have always heard great things about the Optima Yellow and Blue top deep cycle/starting batteries and wonder if anyone has an opinion on them or a suggestion to another option. I have been doing some reading into the subject and found a few other choices like the Motomaster Eliminator Ultra AGM but my knowledge and understanding on the subject is limited.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

I've heard that the Optima's are far down on quality from what they used to be. To be honest, I haven't had an issue with any kind of battery. I buy based on price and warranty. The biggest mistake people make is waiting for the battery to fail on them before replacing. They're only good for 5 years.

edit: I also don't live in the Yukon haha.

OLC Member

Thanks for the response,

I have heard similar things through my research today. I guess once Opitima's manufacturing moved to Mexico, things went south (no pun intended)
    I am seriously contemplating the Motomaster Eliminator Ultra, 5year warranty and they are a deep cycle battery using plates instead of the coil design that others have used in the past. Maximum power out of the size of battery and a reserve bank of up to 120minutes without charge.

Now to see what is available up here, most places don't bother carrying quality items.

I neglected my yellow top and it wouldn't come back, so I went and bought the cheaper, longer warranty, more cca Eliminator Ultra last month. Only time & abuse will tell but I'm trying it...

OLC Member

I think I too am going to try the cheaper option, I have found out through the Expedition Portal forum that the Eliminator Ultra is a rebranded Exide Edge battery. I also really like the fact that they use packed AGM plates with no gaps versus the spiral coils with large gaps in the other options (That and there are no Optima yellow top batteries in stock in town).

**On another note, While taking out my other battery I was shocked to find that the case itself had cracked along the bottom and side and was venting quite badly. 3 years of overland use killed it 100%**

I've been researching which batteries for my pick up. I'm leaning towards the crappy tire AGM in the very near future. If you have the money, Interstate have always been good to me in the past, but the current price is rude.

OLC Member

I did look into the Interstate batteries, but the price scared me away quite fast. I ended up with a Motomaster Eliminator Ultra tonight that was on SALE!, hoping it is as good a battery as the reports I'm hearing might suggest (might have also been snared into buying another SW 8500 winch that was on sale as well.. getting tired of recovering the Wife's 2WD when I take the sleds out or when I take it fishing)

*** As a brief side note: I put the battery in and took the rig out for a rip with the dog (tonight partly to enjoy the newly arrived 11pm sunset) and just couldn't resist an inviting little trail along the way that I had never been down.. Turns out I was to be given the opportunity to test the batteries winching capability. It performs! ***

Picture doesn't do it justice, i had to climb out my window and over the hood to get to the winch and was in too big a rush to remember to take a pic
    http://
    Last edited by condorman; 05-02-2016 at 11:29 PM.

I've always heard good things about Kirkland battery's from Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by wjustin View Post
    I've always heard good things about Kirkland battery's from Costco.
    I have heard the same thing as well.

I've never had a Moto battery not leak and corrode my battery terminals in any vehicle, I always take them out and replace regardless of condition. Just my experience. Our OEM batteries at work are interstate and for the bigger TDI batteries retail for something like $140... for comparison.