Thread: 2006 Nissan Xterra

Default 2006 Nissan Xterra

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2006 Nissan Xterra and its giving me a check engine light code and a long crank before starting. Checked the code its for the bank 2 camshaft positon sensor, I replaced the part and cleared the code. Light went away for about 5 key cycles but has returned again. Scanned the car and getting the same code.

As well have a VDC light and SLIP light on. When I engage 4WD Hi the light keeps flashing like its trying to engage when it has in fact already engaged. As well my airbag light is on.

So all in all I have an Airbag Light, VDC light, Slip light and check engine light. Outside of a long crank I have no running issues and all components are working perfect.

Any suggestions or an idea to point me in a new direction would be great. Both myself and my friend who is a very capable journeymen mechanic are a little stumped right now.

Thanks

I was able to find the service manual in electronic form for my 2005 nissan x-trail on the web for about 20,00$. On top of the code, you have all the steps in solving them, 1 step at the time, including in some case, coment about not changing parts untils some steps were accomplish and tested.

will try to find the place I got it from. X-terra could be there too.

Thanks so much for the reply. Honestly never thought to find a service manual! I'm on the hunt now, really appreciate the help!

Think I found it.

found an old email from paypall with a transaction with theire name on it.

hope this help.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/16/

now, if I could find the same for my jeep TJL. Lol

Here are some generic diagnosis stuff for checking the CPS. Hope this helps. Also a link to a Nissan specific check

Using a scan tool, check if, when engine is running or cranking, that there is an RPM signal. If there is no RPM reading, then visually inspect the crank sensor and connector for any damage and repair as necessary. If there is no visible damage, and you have access to a scope, you could check the CKP 5 Volt square wave pattern. If you do not, then, obtain a resistance reading of your crank sensor from a repair manual. (There are so many different types of crank sensors that there's no way to put here which resistance reading is correct). Then check the resistance of the CKP sensor by disconnecting the sensor and measuring resistance of the sensor. (It is best to check resistance readings from the PCM connector. This rules out any wiring problems from the start. But it does require some mechanical skill and shouldn't be performed if you\'re not familiar with automobile electrical systems). Is the sensor within resistance specs? If not, replace the CKP sensor. If so, recheck resistance reading from the PCM connector. Is the reading still okay? If not, repair open or short in the wiring to the crank sensor and re-check. If the reading is okay, the problem is intermittent or the PCM may be at fault. Try reconnecting and checking for RPM signal again. If there is now an RPM signal, wiggle test the wiring harness to try and induce the fault.

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0335
    Copyright OBD-Codes.com

PO345
    a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
    the camshaft position sensor may have failed the PCM may have failed
    there exists an open circuit
    the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
    Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
    Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
    Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
    Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
    Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

http://www.checkenginetroublecode.co...sition-sensor/

Quote Originally Posted by uriedog View Post
    Here are some generic diagnosis stuff for checking the CPS. Hope this helps. Also a link to a Nissan specific check

Using a scan tool, check if, when engine is running or cranking, that there is an RPM signal. If there is no RPM reading, then visually inspect the crank sensor and connector for any damage and repair as necessary. If there is no visible damage, and you have access to a scope, you could check the CKP 5 Volt square wave pattern. If you do not, then, obtain a resistance reading of your crank sensor from a repair manual. (There are so many different types of crank sensors that there's no way to put here which resistance reading is correct). Then check the resistance of the CKP sensor by disconnecting the sensor and measuring resistance of the sensor. (It is best to check resistance readings from the PCM connector. This rules out any wiring problems from the start. But it does require some mechanical skill and shouldn't be performed if you\'re not familiar with automobile electrical systems). Is the sensor within resistance specs? If not, replace the CKP sensor. If so, recheck resistance reading from the PCM connector. Is the reading still okay? If not, repair open or short in the wiring to the crank sensor and re-check. If the reading is okay, the problem is intermittent or the PCM may be at fault. Try reconnecting and checking for RPM signal again. If there is now an RPM signal, wiggle test the wiring harness to try and induce the fault.

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0335
    Copyright OBD-Codes.com

PO345
    a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
    the camshaft position sensor may have failed the PCM may have failed
    there exists an open circuit
    the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
    Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
    Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
    Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
    Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
    Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

http://www.checkenginetroublecode.co...sition-sensor/
    Thanks so much! My off roading/camping buddy is a Journeymen technician here at our shop. We are going to look at the truck again for a bit on sunday! We will use this as a test plan and go through it.

Thanks so much guys this is the nicest group of people ever on a forum!

Did the slow start go away after you put in the new cam shaft position sensor?

It did not, the code also came back after we replaced it.

If you need the FSM i can get it for you PM me

I was able to find one after! Thanks though!