Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: GMC Canyon Build

looking great. Steelies are awesome. For some reason hard to find for my Dodge

OLC Member

Just catching up on this build. Lots of changes!

Good call on not going with an OZ Tent and instead settling on another hard-shell. I had an OZ Tent for a 16 day trip, and while it is an amazing ground tent, a RTT is a much better option for those frequently on the move.

As far as the bowing/issues you experienced with the tent on a FR rack, there is a good solution to that, and one I've used myself: running a set of FrontRunner cross bars across their RTT brackets:

This provides a nice, large surface area for the tent to sit on. More photos and details in build thread: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...24#post2309924

Reading further, I see that this tent didn't last long, either. Too bad!

For what it's worth, I'm told that my James Baroud Explorer tent can fit nearly 12" worth of stuff inside and still close fine. Seems a bit on the higher side, but who knows. I currently have a 1/2" anti-condensation mat, 3" mattress, sleeping bag, pillows, and ladder (with 1"-thick spacers for the ladder's "hooks") sitting inside, and everything closes easily.

Reading further... two more RTT changes! You're crazy!

My front runner rack is now sitting on it's side in storage. No real use for it right now, which is a shame. I've settled with this Hannibal Impi. The ladder fits in my trucks cab, or in the tent with all my bedding, and the tent closes nicely with everything inside. Only annoyance is this is an old model, so the little holes where the prop rods sit are worn down. The metal inserts basically fell out and I can't prop the entrance cover up anymore. They fixed this issue on newer models I noticed by bolting on a metal plate over the holes. I'm not bothered by it though, it's a small annoyance.

The tent itself works great, secure, good fibreglass and overall well built. So it's staying with the truck. Only thing i would like to do now would be to get a new bed rack built. Something that bolts to all four corners of the bed and looks better proportioned. Also I'd like the new one to be not as high so the tent could sit a little bit lower and kinda blend in with the cab lines. Along with a spare tire mounting point on the drivers side and some bins for my scepter cans on the passenger.

Went on a daily trip to Canmore, and the truck worked great. Hit 12.94L/100kms (18.14mpg) on the highway. I'm picking up a CVT awning tomorrow and in a couple weeks an All Pro bed rack. Going to make it work on this truck. It'll sit 4" lower then my current rack, so the tent will drop a little bit. Biggest difference is the rack is 72" long, so it will better distribute all the weight, and look more proportional. Some pictures.

So far I'm seeing a much-improved fuel economy boost. One trip I hit 12.94 L/100kms (18.14 mpg) and my latest trip to Calgary I hit 11.37 L/100kms (20.64 mpg).

The other update to my truck is the new bed rack. I had the first rack designed in CAD for my red truck and it had some stuff I wanted to be changed for my newer setup. So I took it off and replaced it with this Allpro Offroad bed rack (welded together model) that has been modified quite a bit compared to what Allpro actually sells. I bought this rack used, it was on a Tacoma and I had to modify some bits to fit my truck. It has a lot of changes to it, that I wanted my replacement bed rack to have. So it was a win/win for me.

The biggest thing was the full-length bed rails, my other rack just clamped on the sides, and it held up good so far. No bed tearing or anything but with all the weight I was adding, I wanted something with a larger base for safety sake. This one runs the full length of the bed sides, and I bolted it to the top of the bed (using existing headache holes I drilled previously) and an extra one at the back.

Another thing was length, this unit is longer (and a tad lower), which just helps with aesthetics (I'm picky). I always wanted a longer bed rack to better match the longer box. Another thing I like about it being a tad lower is I wanted to mount an awning to a rack but instead of hard mounting the brackets (like welding) I wanted to make use of my front runner stuff. So I mounted a couple load bars to the rack with some pipe brackets I found at Lowes (same setup I used to mount my FR slimline rack to my older bed rack). This allows me to use my RTT mounting brackets to lift the tent off the round bars. This alleviates pressure points on the fiberglass and allows me to install a set of Rhino rack fox wing brackets. The brackets are mounted to the load bars and more inset so my CVT awning can sit nice and close to the tent and out of the way of obstacles.

I can also lower my hi-lift jack and mount it in the dead space area of the bed over the wheel wells. This keeps the extra weight down low, and out of prying eyes. Beyond that, the rack has a bunch of small mounting tabs for led lights down the road and the sides are covered in thing mounting plates for traction pads or whatever else I want to mount in that spot.